Existing Member?

Retired and Loving It

'It happened in Monterey'

USA | Friday, 25 May 2012 | Views [735] | Comments [1]

A late but delicious breakfast in a pavement café [almond croissant Malc, chocolate croissant Diana] was followed by a potter around beautiful Monterey Cannery Row near where we are staying.  Our hotel, The Clement, Intercontinental, a contemporary hotel favoured by conference delegates is otherwise lovely.  We have a great room, superb bathroom with separate bath and shower and a surfeit of lovely fluffy white towels.  The bed is uber comfortable and the colours relaxing; we wish the room maid wouldn’t put the anxious looking seal and her pup ‘cuddly’ toy between our pillows [it looks like something from a horror film] which we are exhorted to purchase.  The only downside is we don’t have a sea view but we just have to go downstairs and look out of the window to get that.  We look out onto Bubba Gump which has some connection to Forest Gump but not sure what; there was also one at Santa Monica we remember, potentially another American institution which we don’t quite get.

We spent the rest of the morning exploring nearby Carmel by the Sea and loving the many boutique shops and galleries – even Malcolm enjoyed the shops - which is saying something!

The 17 mile drive was nearby so we took that and spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the scenic drive and enjoying our picnic lunch by the sea.  We sat at a splendidly located picnic table on the beach and stuffed ourselves full of prawn salad and a strawberry tart which we bought at the bakery this morning following our lovely breakfast.  Malcolm decided to return our cooler box to the car whilst Diana sat taking photographs of the sea.

Diana!   Diana!  DIANA! ……….. Eventually she heard the robust, plaintiff cry and immediately panicked.  What had happened to Malcolm, was he alright, had someone stolen something from the car, or even worse …… the car.    She looked round to find Malcolm pointing urgently,  and two girls nearby in fits of giggles.  She looked in the direction indicated and found that a crow, the one which had been taking an interest in us during our lunch, had acquired our remaining crisp packet and had taken it away and was attempting – surrounded by his friends the seagulls -  to open it.  Diana jumped to her feet , bravely shouted “Oh no you don’t” and retrieved the stolen article fortunately undamaged; not an easy job, those seagulls are huge.

We suffered yet another lovely meal at the Fish Hopper this evening and what delicious fish dishes they have.  It was great watching the sun gradually disappear and the lights in the bay brighten the night sky, although it got decidedly colder despite the abundance of heaters around.  Tomorrow night we will just have to give in a wear our fleeces like everyone else.

 

Comments

1

Sitting at my desk on the seventh floor overlooking at the industrial wasteland that is Middlesbrough, facing another day of work and meetings and my face is quite green. Envy, not a little. Sounds quite wonderful your adventure. Have another great day!
Jill x

  Jill Armstrong Jun 7, 2012 5:34 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.