Existing Member?

Dawn's digressions I got restless. So I went to Ecuador to learn how to make compost and speak better Spanish.

Ecuador!

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 29 April 2008 | Views [325]

Hello, I’m in Quito. Sitting in a very funky little internet café eating a huge bowl of fresh fruit, muesli, yogurt and honey, to be precise. Yum. I got here just fine yesterday; everything arrived, departed, took off and landed on time and a nice old man called Pedro took me to my hostel in his taxi without trying to rip me off. Bargain. I was, understandably, completely pooped, but still tried very hard to stay awake. Only made it to 8 o’clock though, as every time I try to do anything, I get really quite out of breath. Quito lies at an altitude of around 2850 m and, aside from in aeroplanes, I’ve never been up this high before. It literally takes your breath away! That should all stop in a day or two though and until then I plan to take it easy and try and adjust to the time difference. I’m going to head into the old town today and do all the usual touristy sightseeing stuff, try out the local cuisine and that kind of thing. I’m staying in a small hostel in the Mariscal Sucre district, also know by the locals as Gringolandia, where I’ve got my own en-suite room. It’s not what I expected, although I was very grateful for it yesterday. It’s not so good for meeting other gringos though, but I’m sure I’ll meet some other travellers soon enough. Am meeting up with Jim from school (who I haven’t been in contact with for 11 years!) for the pub quiz in the Reina Victoria – yes, the Queen Vic – tomorrow evening, so that should be interesting. Anyway, there’s not much more to say at the moment, so I’m off to nose around the old town – hasta mañana!

About dawnski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.