Existing Member?

Dawn's digressions I got restless. So I went to Ecuador to learn how to make compost and speak better Spanish.

The most wonderful Galapagos

ECUADOR | Saturday, 14 June 2008 | Views [676] | Comments [2]

Hello again! I’ve just been to one of the most incredible places on Earth and am really rather pleased about it. Yesterday I flew back to the mainland from the Galapagos after spending a week touring the islands on very tiny boat (the Merak – I don’t recommend it, although the food was very good). The tininess of the boat was, in fact, the only drawback of the whole trip. That and the fact that the guide was a doddery 70-year old with a heart condition who should have retired long ago. But anyway. The group, eight of us in all, was great. We all got on very well together and that really made the trip. The animals, birds and marine life are fantastic, and so unafraid of humans. The mockingbirds are cheeky, the sea lions lazy, the land iguanas wary, the lava lizards fast, the albatrosses are clumsy on land but majestic in the air, the land turtles are massive, the finches are always on the move. A baby sea lion even came and sniffed my hand! Needless to say I have far too many photos and will no doubt spend tomorrow deleting the majority of them so I don’t have too much to bore you all with when I get back. There was a great deal of snorkelling, during which time I saw huge numbers of beautiful fish, a white-tipped shark, and even swam with a Galapagos turtle. The latter was certainly the highlight of the trip and an experience I’ll never forget. It was such a privilege to have been able to see the place. This trip is really making me appreciate my life and the opportunities I have. Top banana.

I’m now back in Bahía and will be heading off to Canoa this afternoon and the farm tomorrow evening for my final two weeks of learning all about the wonderful world of organic agriculture. The last two weeks have been really good fun and I’ve so enjoyed meeting lots of interesting and lovely people. That said, I’m now ready to spend a bit of time in the same place before setting off on my travels again at the end of the month. I think I’d even be ready to come back home now, although I would certainly regret it if I did, as I still have so much to see and do. This may just be because I have another stinking cold though and want my mum (hello ma, love you!) and my boy (hello Perry, you’re pretty special, too!) and all of my friends (hello, miss you all!). No doubt I’ll be raring to go again in a few days. For now though, I intend to fill my belly, find myself a hammock in the shade and just relax for the rest of the weekend. I hope you’re all enjoying yourselves at least half as much as I am and will write again next weekend. Much love, d xx

Comments

1

Dawn!
How long has it taken me to get in touch?! Sorry about that. As you can probably guess, work ain't getting any quieter.
It's great to read about your travels, it sounds like a lot of fun, and very fulfilling. Gives one a lot to think about.
Anyway, I think I'm going to get the hell out of Heidelberg the next two weekends, Zürich then Berlin. Otherwise I'll go mental. Tonight I'll distract myself by going for a pre-birthday drink with Achim, at the new place that's finally opened opposite Bar d'Aix.
Anyway, have lots more fun down on the farm and be safe.
Paul

  Paul Jun 15, 2008 11:50 PM

2

Oh wow, sounds fab. (Not the shark though, I would have FREAKED right out.) Don't delete too many photos, I am readying myself for a very German "Dia-Abend" in September.
Sorry to hear about the snot, hope you feel better soon.
love, love, love...xxx

  Shed Jun 16, 2008 2:04 AM

About dawnski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.