Existing Member?

Dawn's digressions I got restless. So I went to Ecuador to learn how to make compost and speak better Spanish.

Mindo

ECUADOR | Thursday, 5 June 2008 | Views [1049] | Comments [3]

Mindo is a lovely little town in the Andes and is where I’ve spent the last three days with Nicol. Just over two hours from Quito, it’s such a stark contrast to the capital. The people are so friendly and everyone greets each other in the street, regardless of whether they know each other or not. The atmosphere is incredibly relaxed and the town is set in stunning countryside in the Andes. The place is famed for its bird-watching and we took the opportunity to go on an early-morning tour with our hostel owner, Marcelo, who is a very good guide (Hostal Rubby, behind the stadium, owned by Norma and Marcelo Arias, lovely people). After an early start, we set off into the forest armed with our binoculars and were not disappointed. We spotted three different varieties of toucan, lots of different tanagers (not sure of spelling), some kites, a barred puff bird and many more. We also visited a butterfly farm, which served very good coffee, and went for a very long and arduous hike to several waterfalls in the nearby Mindo Nambillo nature reserve. My feet now ache quite nicely as a result. On the walk, we not only spotted lots of native birds, but also came across a tiny viper and an enormous tarantula. Both seemed to be far more scared of us than we were of them, thank goodness! The only downside to the trip so far has been the bites I got from some nasty little blood-sucking flies. I’ve been really fortunate that the mosquitoes have pretty much left me alone so far but I’m obviously a very tasty treat for the flies. Hope I don’t come across too many more of them.

This morning was mostly spent relaxing in a hammock and writing my diary before we headed back to Quito. I was loath to come back here, as Mindo was such a lovely place and we met some really nice people, my favourite so far being Toby from Australia, who’s just spent 5 months researching Darwin finches in the Galapagos. I like meeting people and spending bite-sized parts of my life with them. It’s fun. I’m excited to be heading to the Galapagos bright and early tomorrow morning, too. I’ll be meeting Natasha on the plane and have the feeling that it’s going to be a really fun trip with her. I’ll let you know all about it when I get back.

Donna – when are you going to Canada and how long for? Will you be at home when Perry and I come over? Hope so!

Comments

1

In the first class in primary school the teacher asks their students to introduce themselves and tell the others about their fathers’ jobs. “Hello. My name is Vincent. I’m five. My dad is an accountant.” “Hello, I’m Sophie, I’m five and a half and my dad is a policeman.” “Hello. I’m Justin. My dad is a nude dancer at a gay bar.” Rather embarrassed, the teacher changes the subject. After class, she asks: “Justin, were you serious about what you said about your father?” Justin: “…No….actually…he is with the English national football team, but that is too embarrassing."

Everything good here. There are just a few days left until I turn 25. You missed an amazing gig at Schwimmbadclub (it was us who played) I even did a solo number as an encore. Bring back a monkey.

  achim Jun 12, 2008 6:59 PM

2

teacher asks their students?...I'm a translator, damn it!
the teacher asks her students, of course.

  achim Jun 12, 2008 7:01 PM

3

Hi Sis.
Hope all going well out there and you're still having fun. Off to Ibiza on mon, looking forward to some sunshine and lots of book reading, yippee!!

Haven't booked tickets yet but go to Canada around the 24th june. Probably won't be back when your there, boo hoo but you never know, i might get called back for second series of glads so we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway keep enjoying yourself and hear from you soon.
Miss my sis, love you lots
Your ickle sis xx

  donski Jun 15, 2008 5:07 AM

About dawnski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.