Existing Member?

Dawn's digressions I got restless. So I went to Ecuador to learn how to make compost and speak better Spanish.

Getting ready

GERMANY | Wednesday, 23 April 2008 | Views [361] | Comments [4]

Just in case any of you were still unaware of the fact, I’m off to Ecuador on Monday. My first three days there will be spent in the capital, Quito, and will most likely be spent wrestling with jetlag, seeing the sights and stocking up on day-to-day essentials before heading out to the coast next Friday. There I’ll be doing a one-month course in organic agriculture at the Rio Muchacho Organic Farm (www.riomuchacho.com), followed by a further 2-4 weeks volunteering on the farm, a few weeks travelling around the rest of Ecuador, and a two-week group tour of Peru to round it all off.

Right now I’m frantically getting all my gear together and packing all my belongings into boxes to go into the attic while I’m away, as I’ll be renting out my flat while I’m gone. Those of you who know me well will no doubt be able to imagine what a state I’m in at the moment as a result of once again having left everything to the last minute. It’s all loosely under control though and I’ve sorted the most important things, such as vaccinations, insurance and flights.

However, this is not stopping me from losing sleep due to nerves and excitement. I’m certainly looking forward to the next three months and am positive that I’ve made the right decision in going away. What’s really beginning to tug at my tummy now is the realisation that I won’t be seeing or regularly speaking to any of my family or friends for quite some time. As independent as I am and as much as I need time on my own, the prospect of spending three months without my nearest and dearest is now seeming more than a little daunting. There’s one person in particular that I will very sorely miss – you know who you are. Nevertheless, I refuse to let homesickness get the better of me and intend to fill my time with new experiences and challenges, which I’ll tell you all about any time I’m near an internet café. So watch this space!

Comments

1

I'm so excited for you !!!
Can't wait to read all your news
big hug and don't be scared
xxxxx

  Marinette Apr 23, 2008 8:38 PM

2

ooh get you - a journal. cool. hope you are better at keeping a journal than I am ;)
will look forward to your little updates and some photos hopefully. we will miss you so come back safe and sound...love....

  Shedley Apr 24, 2008 4:28 AM

3

Lovely idea Dawn, have a great time & take care. Will pass all updates on to Nana so keep em coming. Lotsa love XXXX

  Margie & Roy Apr 25, 2008 5:45 AM

4

Hola chica!
Hope your plane trip wasn't too hideous and you arrive safely. Have a fantastic time, looking forward to reading about your adventures!
xxx

  Abi Apr 29, 2008 1:07 AM

About dawnski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.