Existing Member?

Adventure before dementia

Sweden - Osterlen, pt 1

SWEDEN | Thursday, 28 September 2017 | Views [419] | Comments [2]

A short drive to Osterlen brought us to our first stop of the day, Havang. A lovely nature reserve overlooking the sea. This area is peppered with stone circles, neolithic, bronze age tombs and white sandy beaches. The first stone circle of the day was at Havang overlooking the sea. Checked out the stone circle and then walked along the pristine white sandy beach. Quite a chilly wind blowing in off the Baltic sea but very sunny. Next stop was a bronze age burial chamber called the Kings Grave although modern investigations don't think any King was ever buried there. Very impressive stone paintings in the tomb. Then onto the Stenshuvud National Park for a lovely walk in mixed deciduous forest overlooking the sea. The trees are just turning autumnal here and the leaves are falling so very colourful. Also loads of mushrooms everywhere, if only we knew which ones we could eat! Talking about eating I haven't mentioned food once!! We have enjoyed Swedish meatballs, pickled herrings, caviar, pan fried herrings, juicy prawns, crispy breads and lots of cinnamon buns!! This area is also well known for its cider but we haven't had any yet.

On the second day we picked up the long distance Skaneleden walk at Sandhammaren beach and walked to Kaseberga to visit Ales Stenar, a bronze age stonehenge located on a headland overlooking the sea. Really interesting henge as the stones are laid out in the shape of a boat and are aligned for the winter and summer solstice. We bought lunch from the smokehouse, the two pieces of smoked fish were delicious. The whole walk took about five hours through woodland and along the beach. Still sunny when we got back so we had a beer overlooking the beach whilst sat in a cosy wood hut. Only two nights left in Sweden now.

Comments

1

Mmm lovely Swedish meatballs we have them with spaghetti and arribiatti sauce we get the meatballs from Asda, don't have to go to Sweden for them. Lovely and sunny and warm here today.

  Mum Sep 28, 2017 11:29 PM

2

Dam, I could have saved a lot of time and money and just gone to Asda for the Swedish experience!! Ha, Ha!!

  dawnandmark Sep 29, 2017 4:55 PM

About dawnandmark

Perfect end to a perfect day

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.