Existing Member?

Adventure before dementia

Goldfields, Ballarat

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 12 March 2016 | Views [366] | Comments [1]

We are now in the Goldfileds of Victoria, who knew Oz had gold mines?? I didn't.  This area produced 16 billion oz dollars of gold between 1850-1880 which caused a huge gold rush to the area.  Yes, I have been to the gold museum to learn all about it!  There is also a huge outdoor museum called Sovereign Hill which re-creates a gold rush town in the 1880's.  we spent most of the day there yesterday, it was really fantastic.  Went down the mine, saw a $150,000 gold ingot made, visited all the period shops, factories, houses and ate a mega chocolate wagon wheel in the bakery.  Yum, yum. 

We also visited Ballarat which still has some of the original buildings from the era.  the photo of the colonist club is an actual building in Ballarat and is currently featured in The Doctor Blake Mysteries now showing on UK TV. 

We are leaving this area today but not sure where to, it is labour day bank holiday weekend here so pretty busy at the moment.  Might be parked on a car park tonight...

Comments

1

Knew you couldn't resist a museum!! Sounds like you're packing loads of stuff in! I think I've heard of Dr Blake. I think it's on during the day xx

  Claire Bridge Mar 30, 2016 8:34 PM

About dawnandmark

Perfect end to a perfect day

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.