Existing Member?

Dr. Dave's Journal DG takes you along as he shows up in random places around the world.

Bonvenon Al Prago

CZECH REPUBLIC | Thursday, 22 May 2008 | Views [1072] | Comments [2]

Welcome to Prague........the train ride was picturesque and pleasant, as I figured it would be. Getting from the train station into downtown Prague and then up to our rooms was......interesting.

The Hotel Waldstein has additional rooms in the form of little apartments that they have in a building around the corner. Well appointed, comfortable, and kind of gives you the feeling of being a resident of Prague for a few days instead of turisty amerikancky. As for what things cost, let's just say that we're not in Slovakia anymore, Toto. Dear President Bush: fix the dollar NOW.

I just got back from the famous 14th-century Prague Castle while my comrades are doing the sightseeing thang down at the Charles Bridge and elsewhere in the stare mesto (Old Town). I put in a request for synagogue photos.

The local Esperantists are snagging me at 1400h (sorry....2:00pm....you get used to this eminently rational European way of doing things fast) so I have time to run over to....believe it or not....Starbucks and get horizontal for a bit. Unfortunately, this hotel PC is free to use BUT it's ancient, so no USB ports for photo uploading, sadly. I'll look into that later at the front desk (referred to as "reception" all over eastern Europe).

BTW the Waldstein also has a free breakfast buffet every morning, like the Tatra, and it's in a cool ancient-looking grotto where tall guys like me have to bend down everywhere. Imagine if the Munsters and the Addams Family met Dr. Frankenstein for brunch and that'll give you an idea of what it looks like.

We've heard about Ted Kennedy's brain tumor and the 41,000 dead in China but that's about it. Sometimes it's nice to be out of touch for awhile. The USA seems very far away at the moment. Of course, those of you who know me will understand when I say that that is not such a bad thing once in awhile. Ciao for now.

 

Comments

1

Glad to know you and your comrades are in place and figuring out Prague. I look forward to seeing the pictures when you can upload. China and Kennedy--you know the important stuff. Hope everyone is staying healthy even though the dollar is not.
love, m.

  Karen Adams May 23, 2008 6:14 AM

2

Love the map---I think I see you waving.
Thanks for the nice Anniversary and Birthday wishes this AM...

Big love,
Bonnie

  Bonnie May 24, 2008 1:47 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.