Existing Member?

World Adventure

Bolzano - Alpe di siuzi

ITALY | Tuesday, 25 September 2012 | Views [418]

Europe's largest high alpine meadow surrounded by dolomite peaks.
It was a cloudy day but we decided to take a chance and head into the mountains even though the cloud level was low. We caught the bus from Bolzano bus station. It an impressively scary bus trip winding along the edge of a mountain road not wide enough for a turning bus and oncoming traffic. There were glimpses of old castles along the way .when we arrived  we decided to  catch a cable car up but were a little concerned when we could see the cable cars disappearing into the clouds.Enroute up the steep climb we  only managed  glimpses of the dolomite peaks. I was not positive and realised that we were going to be quite a bit colder up on the plateau and I did not take a jumper.
We found that the weather started to clear in the centre of the plateau which gave us hope so we headed off walking briskly to warm up. There are many well marked tracks and the area is surrounded by dolomite mountains on the edge of the plateau. The mountains started revealing themselves as we walked and by the time we reach a nice spot for lunch we had seen all mountain peaks and even seen the pink hues of the dolomite with the changing light.
The plateau is similar to Switzerland with traditional wooden buildings, plenty of grass and cows. It looks to be a farmers paradise and is scenically beautiful.
We needed to turn back after reaching the bottom of the valley as late afternoon was approaching. We returned and caught the cable car down and managed to intercept a bus heading back to Bolzano in minutes. It was a great outing with many many kms clocked up.
I have not previously mention that I have not seen so many apple orchards as those in the valley at Bolzano. It is an incredible site to see so many trees laden with fruit. There surely is no need for doctors in this area given the oversupply of apples! There also is a castle on almost every ridge to guard the valley.

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.