Existing Member?

World Adventure

Salvador 3

BRAZIL | Saturday, 6 December 2008 | Views [920]

Oi All,

Happppppppy birthday Vanessa (south american 5dec).

Have confined ourselves to the 'safe' old city area with armed guards on the corners and armed guards escorting tourist groups led by guides with marker flags. A little concerning when the locals ask us where our tour guide as we might need some security. Expressing genuine concern or just touting for business :-o

Despite the underlying security threat we still ventured out last night to Bale folclorico da bahia which was a theatre presentation of 6 styles of african dance from Candoble to Capoeira. All dancer had 6 pack stomachs including the women. Fine looking specimens and equally impressive dancers. Very acrobatic. It was well worth the money and left us wanting more...apparently the troupe has performed in sydney, boston and new york. So look out for the name. You will be exhausted just watching them (if you get the chance)!

http://www.balefolcloricodabahia.com.br/

Had a lovely lunch of birthday chocolate cake and iced chocolate then went to a church and confessed our sins.

Was an old portuguese church/monastry. The usual dark and depressing church dedicated to the glory of god? Think that will be the last one in south america that we will set foot in. Thank god.  

Wandered around and found some nice colorful leather sandles for Vanessa. Like to show you but no camera. Dark Red, brown, green platted. Her red ones got scuffed in the robbery yesterday and she wished that they were the hiking boots which would have been much more effective for kicking. New sandles probably won't last long. Hand made but...

feels like prisoners trapped in the confines of the inner city and hostel. Can't go to the supermarket safely as it is in a bad zone so we would have to take a cab. Not all bad as the drums are beating along the street again and they sound great.

Heading back to Rio tomorrow morning...will it be more secure? Have to go to ipanema beach so Vanessa can be the girl from there.

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=nKLhEV5kwOk&feature=related

Adues,

David & Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.