Existing Member?

World Adventure

Valdivia

CHILE | Tuesday, 23 September 2008 | Views [920]

Hola All,

Caught the south american express again. Picked up just about every man and his dog along the way. Only a short trip of about 3hrs.

Checked into the Aires Buenas hostel, all ours tonight, then down to the river to spot the sealions. They have figured out that it is easier to go to the fishmarket than to go fishing for the real thing. Plenty of them lazing around but it is the afternoon so maybe more action tomorrow...

Day 2. What is that sound? rain! haven´t heard the sound of rain for about 3 months and woke up to it this morning. Went to the fish markets and the sea lions were just turning up waiting for breakfast. So much salmon on offer. Why didn´t we buy some? Went down to the bus station and booked tickets to osorno and hope to get to puerto octay from there later in the day.

Spent the day looking at spanish forts on the coast at Niebla and after a short ferry ride, via isla mancera and the spotting of a yellow dingy called Vanessa, we ended up at corral. The area is the sea entrance to the area and the spanish placed strategic forts in at least 3 places.

Got back Valdivia in the afternoon and again got to watching the sea lions. The young ones are very playful must to the anoyance of the older ones. Some unfortunate young sea lions become pillows for the older ones. The pecking order of life? At one stage there was a sea lion on the footpath being chased by dogs before a council worker forced it back into the water with a stick - a regular job as it also happened yesterday.

heading to Puerto Octay tomorrow morning and hoping to stay in a hostel with grass growing on the roof :-)

Date is 23Sep08 for reference.

Adios,

David & Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.