Existing Member?

World Adventure

Banos2

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 29 July 2008 | Views [685]

Hola Amigos,

Day 1 - water levels were too high so canyoning was abandoned. The group went into banos for some exploring and to get a backlog of stinky clothes washed. The town had a lot of melcocha, chewy toffee, makers who were working their craft and freely giving away samples. The returns were good for them as Vanessa and I bought up big! Later we watched bridge swinging into a deep gorge just across the road. The rope could be heard to crack under the strain their body weight. Glad it wasn^t me. Went grocery shopping and still couldn^t crack the US$20 even with 2 bottles of spirits in the purchase!

Day 2 - Nice day. Went for a walk along the 12 waterfalls track about 2km away from the hostel. Only problem was getting across the main river. The bridge was just a log with a rickety bamboo handrail and both were very slippery. The walk was picturesque(?) with the river thundering next to the track for the whole path. We didn^t make it to the top of the track as the jungle had taken over. Returned to an area with 3 waterfalls for lunch only to find that it wasn^t in the backpack. Doh. Back to the hostel for lunch then out to El pailon del diablo (devils couldron) a spectacular waterfall with a near deafening sound at the base. Not only was it loud but also very wet from the viewing platform.

Day 3 - driving to Cuenca. 12 hr drive through spectacularly steep mountains and deep valleys. 52 land slips along the way in the last 12 months apparently. Stopped for lunch on the road as the roadworks were clearing a slip and it took about 1hr to get through. Almost made it to Cuenca when the truck broke down. Dirt in the fuel system from the dusty roadworks. Didn^t take long for the repairs at 3300m but Gabriel will remember that diesel syphoning by mouth can leave a disgusting aftertaste. Quick stop for donut shaped icecreams and arrived in the old city. Staying at Posada del angel hostel - lovely.

No USB on computer so no pics until later...

Adios,

David & Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.