Existing Member?

World Adventure

Cuenca

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 31 July 2008 | Views [513]

Hola Amigos,

A few good things to know: una via is not a street name; toilet paper goes in the bin and not the toilet; Diesel is US$1.037 per gallon everywhere we have been in ecudor; fuel tankers have inflamble printed on them....

Day 0 -  Cuenca (pronounced kwenker) is a cool city. A good blend of the old with the new. The inner city is UNESCO covered and is like a step back in time. The centre of town is dominated by the newish cathedral and a beautifully maintained garden square. It seems to be a lot safer than Quito. Went out for dinner at a renovated old residence and were seated in what was the inner courtyard of a spanish style house. The food and service was 5 star and cost about $15 a head.

Day 1 - Vanessa and I wandered the streets all day. The city is fascinating with stores down the side streets like a bizaar. Went to a food market with just about anything for sale - cows hoofs, goats heads etc just the usual i guess. Went to a medical museum that had real foetus^s of various ages among other things. Went out for dinner at another renovated old residence and were seated in what was the inner courtyard of a spanish style house. The food and service again was 5 star and cost about $15 a head.

For Kathryn. Vanessa had a pisco sour and liked it. Good tip. 

Day 2 - Group decided that it would be nice to spend another day in cuenca and we spent the morning at parque nacional cajas which is at an elevation of about 3500-4000m. Walking was hard going but the views were excellent. Thanks Cuco. Lunch at a small family restuarant at about 3000m. Nice soup and not so nice anorexic trout and a some warm suger cane and lemon fire water. 

Ps. My Spanish is still crap.

To be continued...

Adios,

David & Vanessa

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.