Existing Member?

Darcy Down Under

"It's Raining, it's pouring..."

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 24 June 2013 | Views [501] | Comments [2]

...and so i've been spending some quality time in my lovely apartment. For those who don't know, it actually rains more in Sydney than in Seattle. Because here it actually rains. You know how in Seattle it kinda just spits at you and is inconveniently moist? Well here it all out pours. Alot. And right now the news says that it is raining more than normal. In 1 day we got more rain than they got this whole month last year. To recap: every day is about 55 degrees F and raining big fat drops %80 of the time. Today they also issued a severe weather warning for the area that I live in. Dangerous winds, rain, and surf. But not to fear! I'm safe. Supposedly it should let up by this weekend and possibly be sunny and dry, but it is quite the experience. Oh, June-uary, how I love thee.  

Want to know what else I love? Central heating. Here, no one has it. The temp outside, is the temp inside. I don't think I appreciated it enough in the US. Dear Central Heating, you were hot. Miss you. Love Darcy. Most people I have spoken to don't know what a thermostat is.  Somehow the people here are adjusted and can wear thin clothing even though I am chilled. I am hoping to learn the ways of the non-central-heated soon.  Good news, it isn't essential and really isn't that bad.

Speaking of the apartment, I relaized that I never posted more picture, so here they are:

Living room

The cozy living room where we tend to huddle around our electric heater (the only source of heat for the apartment) and enjoy a glass of red wine from time to time. This is the place of all great girl chat!

dining room

The dining table and balcony

kitchen

This is our magical kitchen with the 1-temperature stove. But it is bright and we cook great food in it!

bathroom

Our cute bathroom (and Megan, Becca, and Heather... note that the toilet is in a separate room!!! :p)

 

Even though I am spending a good amount of time inside, I have been doing plenty around too! Last week I got to volunteer in 2 KinderMusik classes and got to dance with some babies. I have now had "Peek-a-boo I love you" stuck in my head. #musicteacherproblems.  I also spent some time reading in Gertrude and Alice. After Shabbos I was walking home and got an opportunity to dance in an absolute down pour. Soaked might be an understatement when describing my condition when I got home.

I started this week feeling so relaxed and dialed in. I kinda needed a little bit of a break! While I apply for jobs, I decided to focus on keeping my body healthy! I joined an awesome CrossFit Gym (CrossFit Bare) and am now part of the Bare Club! I have been waiting so long to find a CrossFit gym near my house, with a good vibe, that I had time to go to. Good thing I moved to Australia so that could happen.Haha! I'm excited to work on my strength and flexibility. I had a great workout today! And I appreciate the social hour option after we work out! Good way to make some new friends!

Raizel and I also made super yummy green stuff smoothies. As Raizel says" I just love my Veg!". Basically this is  Kale, Chard, Box Choy, Spurilina, Avocado, Chia Seed, and Flax seeds. Blended with some water. (Yep, no sugar but really yummy, promise). Also, I got Raizel to let me take her picture! Here are us Green Godesses:

 smoothies

(I give you my gorgeous roommate Raizel Ahuva--she's like sunshine. Also she's from South Africa. She is into healthy living. And she works for the government changing lives and helping those with disabilities. Pretty much my soul mate.)

And, for those of you that noticed... yes, my hair is in a "fauxHawk". Had to do it up for going out that night :p

I went to the Beach Road Hotel which is a bar/live music venue that is touristy and well known. I saw a hip-hop show which was pretty fun. Then, on my way home I stopped by the Royal Hotel which is also a bar/live music venue that had a regge/ska band. Dipped my toe into the night life, but I know there is SO much more to discover.

..." to where ever [my] adventure waits!"

 

 

Comments

1

The bathrooms in Japan have separate bath and toilet rooms too--nothing new to me. :p

Glad you're having such an awesome time! <3

  Becca Jun 25, 2013 1:16 PM

2

Hope working with me helped prepare you for the chill...haha! Keep warm!

  Elizabeth Jun 29, 2013 12:32 PM

About darcyleggett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.