Existing Member?

Moving in Stereo

London

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 4 March 2016 | Views [358]

Abbey Road

Abbey Road

LONDON (March 1-3) 

Took the red eye to London. I think I was a little cranky. I found myself getting really annoyed while at the airport (I know it's not hard to get annoyed at the airport, but I try to laugh off as much as I can generally- getting upset never solves anything, especially at the airport.)  But for the record my gripes are people who rush to get on the plane- why cut the line when we're just gonna sit there and get to our destination at the same time? I wait as long as I can to board.  I wasn't annoyed that they were cutting me, but that they were rude and obnoxious about it. The other thing that tests my patience are the people who don't get the basic rules of flying and airport security. I realise I have experience traveling, but how could you not know, at this point, that your laptop has to come out of the bag, there's restrictions on liquids, and if the sign says take off your shoes, take off ya damn shoes. Lastly, I spent a lot of time, and a few bucks, making sure I would meet size and weight requirements for the various airlines. When I see a lady with 3 bags and a purse allowed to board I had to comment to the gate check guy "I would have packed a piano if I knew you didn't care about the limits you advertise all over you website." He chuckled. Whatever. In the end I didn't loose my temper, just stewed to myself.  Sleeping on the flight wasn't as easy as I hoped. 

Arrived in London and took the tube (subway) to the YHA Central. The hostel was in a great location, easy walk to lots of areas of interest.  The only complaint I have is not enough lockers for all in the room, but I got one, so not my problem.  It was a great deal for the location. 

My first destination was the parliament building.  Had a nice walk through Oxford and Regent streets to get there.  I was meeting my mum´s (mom´s) cousin John, who works at the House of Commons for afternoon tea.  Before meeting John I took a moment to appreciate the views of the parliament, church, and Big Ben. 

There was a huge cue (line) but John was able to get us the VIP treatment and we breezed right in. Then he took me on a tour through a few areas including the cathedral that withstood bombing during WWII. They used to hold trials there, and this is where the Queen Mother was displayed when she passed.  I wasn't allowed to take pics, John was full of Interesting facts about the building, and my memory sucks, so forgive me for not having all the details. We saw some other areas, but what struck me most is how detailed everything is- carpet, wallpaper, tiles, chandeliers, stained glass, furniture- dense is the word that comes to mind. Visual overload. 

We got a prime seat in the tearoom overlooking the Thames river and the eye of London (huge Ferris wheel). I had tea and a scone while enjoying the view and catching up with a distant relative. John told me he was recently promoted to head of the department he works for so he is now required to don a robe and wig and be present during parliamentary proceedings! That sounds exciting.

After tea, I took a walk along the Thames and took some pics.  Then I got hungry, so I went on a search for Indian. Had to have a chicken tikka in London, and this did not disappoint. Juicy chicken with plenty of spice. Took an evening stroll before crashing. I was beat. 

Woke up Wednesday with Abbey Road Studio on the mind. It was cold and lightly raining. Figured I would walk there, and it took about a half hour. I saw the zebra crossing, stood and tried to soak up the "vibes" then went into the gift shop. 

As I was leaving I realized my feet were KILLING me. I am not exaggerating I have never felt foot pain like this. I'm not sure what's up. I have had these shoes for a few months and had no problems. I walk everyday back home, although I'm sure I am doing more walking now than I would usually at home. So I found some buses to take back to the hostel and relax a bit.  

Not one to be held down too long i went back out in search of Camden Market. I never made it. I did get some good shawarma for lunch from a Lebanese spot while resting my feet along the way. So one more time back to the hostel for a quick nap, then crazy Russel with the sore feet decides to go walking for hours, with my destinations being dinner and a special unplugged show by Bilal. Dinner was an overpriced but decent burger. I am sad to say I did not make it to Bilal. Sorry Etienne, I was hoping to share a video with you. The pain was just unbearable. So it goes. I was content taking a bus back to the hostel. I had an early flight this morning to Lisbon and used the time to pack and get ready so I didn't have to get up too early.  

In the end, I got a feeling for London and enjoyed my time there. It's a city like New York but noticeably older. Dark, gloomy, goth. London has never been a destination that I was rushing to see, but I am glad I saw a bit. The train to the airport this morning was nice passing by some rivers, farms, and some decent graffiti (among lots of shitty graffiti) giving me the feeling I would like to come back and explore the English country side in the future. 

Meantime, I am sending this post from Lisbon - I LOVE IT HERE.  If I move to Portugal one day don´t be surprised.  

Ciao

About dangerruss

Me on a trolley in Lisbon

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.