Existing Member?

Moving in Stereo

Lisboa

PORTUGAL | Monday, 7 March 2016 | Views [310]

King of the Castillo

King of the Castillo

PORTUGAL - Lisbon. Thursday. 

Before we get to Portugal, a word about doing dumb shit with your money, which I am guilty of. 

I bought a card for public transport in London and put more than I needed on it. Then I thought I could use it for the shuttle to the airport so I ADDED money to it, only to then realize it was not valid. Now I have to go through a whole process to get the cash back. Then I did almost the same thing in Lisbon. I'm trying to make sure I get my money's worth this time. No more transit cards this trip, just pay as I go from now on. 

So here I am again in Lisbon and I'm happy. The weather, though cold, is much more tolerable than London. Their uneven cobblestone sidewalks are easier on my feet. Must be hell on heels. The tiled walls, the narrow alleys and stairways, although faded and rundown, look beautiful to me. I feel like I'm a competent photographer when I'm here. Lisbon makes it easy. Portugal has been struggling economically since I was here 5 years ago. Regardless  of economic issues, they are still friendly, outgoing, and genuine. Of course like any big city with year round tourists, there's a darker element as well - pick pockets and lots of people offering drugs. I don't do biz with people on the streets. Not worth the many potential dangers. 

The language is beautiful, and so are the people. The food, as ong as you eat meat and seafood, is awesome. Unless you're trying to stay away from gluten. Luckily, I'm not. I did not see anything advertised as gluten free. 

I am staying at Home. That's the name of the hostel. Comfy big beds, clean bathrooms, secure, friendly helpful staff, great location.  My room has a little balcony. They also serve dinner e'ry night. 

Mama cooks a great dinner for only 10 euros, which is a grat deal. It's one of the things that make this hostel so awesome. Tonight was a rice and shellfish dish like paella, turnip soup, custard desert, wine, and a shot of ginga (I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong). The company I shared dinner with was worth it alone. Marco from Switzerland was tasked with making a toast since it was his last night here. He wasn't sure what to say so he led us in singing a song which was awesome. I enjoy meeting other travelers and hearing about their experiences. After dinner some folks went to a pub crawl, something I don't usually do. Instead I hung out with a group of Italians on the terrace.  They know more about the NBA than I do. When I said I manage a health food store they said "whole foods?"  And they love Eminem.  Their accent was obvious when they spoke English, but when Eminem came on the radio they sang along like English was their first language. I went to bed around 1, they left for the club. I heard it was meh. Glad I stayed in. 

 

Friday-

Got a late start on a day trip to Belem. Home of a huge monastery which now holds an archeological museum with lots of Egyptian and Roman artifacts going back to BC. Belem is also home to a special custard pastry that I had to wait in line for. It was worth it. It's got a phyllo dough crust, custardy filling, and wasn't too sweet. 

Then back in Lisbon for a late lunch. I found a spot "O Chiado" that offers one of my favorite dining experiences. They give you a piping hot flat stone, raw meat, dressing, garlic and salt.     You cook the steak to your liking. I had this at another spot my last time here, it's one of the things I was looking forward to again, and it did not disappoint. All I can say is yum and fun. 

I took the afternoon off to do some laundry and catch a late nap before Mama's dinner.  Chicken with rice. Another great meal shared with a full table of travelers. Among them many Germans and Italians, as well as a number of Americans studying abroad. One girl who is in school in Prague is a fellow Jew from Queens!  

Sleeping was tough last night. People in the hallways making noise, slamming doors, and a wasted girl <Cass .. turned out it was food poisoning> whose friends where trying to help her to bed, one small step at a time. I was too lazy to climb down from the top bunk to get my earplugs. 

 

Saturday-

Today I took the 28 trolley to the Castillo do Seo Jorge which overlooks the city. It's a nice ride up, and I had the pleasure of riding next to the driver, the best seat in the house. He was a young 50 years old, and I enjoyed chatting with him on the way up. Of course he asked about Drumpf. Most people do. A guy got pick pocketed getting on the tram, which I was warned to be careful of. I was standing right there when it happened but saw nothing.  The driver said they have cameras on the trolley now so hopefully the police can help. 

After the trolley it was a long walk, mostly uphills and steps to get to the castle. The view from the castle is awesome. You can see the entire city and the river that borders it. Also, there where peacocks!!! Right there, just walking around. 1 girl and a bunch of males. Some had really long beautiful wings. I don't think I've ever been as close up. Ther was another museum with cool old artifacts. After the museum I stopped by a little Saturday market and caught some fado and got a small painting of a trolley. Then some cheap Indian food for late lunch before making my way back to the hostel. 

This was my last night staying there and I was looking forward to one last meal from Mama. A fellow traveler named Christina who lives in New Jersey, works in the city, and has family from Portugal insisted Mama make a special Portuguese cabbage soup. It's like a potato and garlic soup with chorizo and shredded kale and it was yummy.  There was a tasty pork dish and salad. 

We stayed around the table long after dinner. I left for a smoke and when I got back the Americans where in the middle of a challenge to draw a map of the US. They had the coasts down, but where flubbing the middle. I was late to the game but tried to help ... 

<side note> It is my observation that Americans are perceived as kinda dumb by a lot of people from other countries. Not in a mean way. It's just that we generally only speak English, sometimes we don't even do that well.  And we were challenged by some Swedes and a German, who I assume could draw an accurate scale version of their countries rivers and all. They all speak 4-6 languages! I wanted to make sure to represent for the USA. <end side note>

Now I'm in Porto. I'll update again in a few days. Loading pics to this site is a pain with my phone so you will have to check Facebook if you want more pics. Ciao for now 

About dangerruss

Me on a trolley in Lisbon

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.