Existing Member?

Moving in Stereo

Albuquerque to New York

USA | Tuesday, 1 March 2016 | Views [186]

Kids on trampoline

Kids on trampoline

OAKLAND AIRPOT
Songs for this post-
Albuquerque - Neil Young
Back in the New York Groove- Ace Frehely
Back in New York City- Genesis
Jump Around - House of Pain


Goose drove me to the airport in Oakland.
Got here early so Had a huge ass breakfast croissant.
Now just chillin to some tunes

ABQ - Saturday
My flight to Albuquerque was mellow. I passed out before we took off and woke up about 30 minutes before decent. I got greeted upon arrival by my niece Gabby.

Spent the afternoon with the family catching up, then off to Vietnamese pho for dinner. Nothing too fancy, but enjoyable none the less. After dinner we caught up with my good buddy Lonn. His band was performing at a benefit for an art/yoga/community space Totuga in this cool old building that needs a new roof. They had a bunch of donated art on the walls up for auction. Some cool pieces including a few by Paul Bowles. I was reading a collection of his travel writings before I left for this trip


I lived in Albuquerque for about 5 years after falling in love with the old adobe buildings, dry warm weather and the sky. It's a little run down, but that adds to the charm. It has a unique look and feel compared to most US cities. It still has an awesome look. 
Got to see some old friends, And reconnect. Got to make some new ones too. The show was fun with a good turn out full of positive vibes. Everyone was dancing, chatting, and kids were running around playing with no worries (most of them).

After a quick stop back to Lonn's place, we headed downtown. We arrived at the bar at 1am for a live Afro Cuban band Nosotros hosting their CD release. The band had a good sound, based on traditional Afro Cuban rhythms, but with some modern synth tones, a little bit of reggae (including a verse from the song Armageddon Time by WIllie WIlliams) and a youthful energy. Also they had a few guys switching up instruments throughout the set which I always appreciate.
When the bar closed, the uber rate started rising quickly so we opted to hit up a food truck and check out an impromptu drum circle in hopes the rate would go down a little. I think we got back to house around 3 and it didn't take me long to get into bed.

Then in the morning I went outside and saw a few hot air balloons going up, a classic Albuquerque site!

Mostly chill out day. Had lunch with the fam at Lonns while the kids played on the trampoline. (Pic)

I watched the oscars with my dad before taking the red eye to NY. Now I'm relaxing in the morning. Thinking of checking out some kinda crazy food mash up in Queens for a late lunch, then back to JFK for the red eye to London.
Ciao

About dangerruss

Me on a trolley in Lisbon

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.