Existing Member?

Mikey Travels Lightly

The next step

VIETNAM | Monday, 9 November 2009 | Views [672] | Comments [2]

Saigon has been a little overwhelming and in each of the last three days i promised myself that i would leave on the next. Today I was convinced by my motorbike driver/guide to try a four day tour of the Mekong delta. Mr Cuong is from the delta, speaks passable english and most importantly, seems to be a safe driver. From the reviews that he showed me and the itinerary he suggested, i feel like it will be wonderful. Next stop: Ben Tre.

Today i toured the Cu Chi tunnels with Cuong. These tunnels were used by the Viet Cong in the war with the french and later in the 'american' war. My strongest impression there was amazement at the resourcefullness of the people, who won the war using not much more than what was discarded by the americans and republicans. I was surprised to find a gun range there. Not so surprised but certainly saddened to see people posing as soldiers- making the site seem like an amusement park. It was nice to be on the tour with Cuong on the back of a motorbike rather than packed on a bus with everyone else. After the tour Cuong took me to a place for lunch where no bus would stop. It is inevitable that everybody asks me where i am from- i guess i don't exactly fit in... after seeing the craters made by B-52s and feeling the horrors of war i wasn't thrilled to say that i am american.

Cuong mentioned Obama a few times before and during the tour. A reminder that foreign policy can change, i guess. Cu Chi may not be his most enjoyable tour.

Its time for me to get ready for my next step. A four day tour of the delta then on to the sandy beaches of Phu Quoc Island.

Comments

1

Wow, the culture shock is amazing. You never really know how to define your cultural experience until you begin to view it without the blinders on, the effects of perspective cross so many boundaries.

  Vivek Nov 11, 2009 8:30 PM

2

I'm so pleased that you're getting to see the country up close and personal. You tend always to go to the core or essence of things and that shows in how you're doing your trip. I'm amazed by your courage to venture off the beaten track and your willingness to be vulnerable in your encounters with the local culture.

Thanks for sharing this blog with us!

  Pete & Karen Nov 12, 2009 8:42 AM

About crikeyitsmikey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.