Existing Member?

Mikey Travels Lightly

From Monkey Town to the Top of the Hill

THAILAND | Monday, 14 December 2009 | Views [677]

For the week prior to last monday I had been travelling with a women whom i met at the Lopburi (monkey town) train station.  Thereza is a Czech citizen living in London.  She had been working as a graphic artist and designer there for three years before taking a one year vacation.  Much of Thereza's work was for fashion magazines- Elle and crap like that.  Can anyone reading this imagine me spending like 100 consecutive hours (minus separate bed time) with a cultured fashionista?  Perhaps owing to her previous nine months of travel, we havesomething in common- we are both really cheap at present. 

The two of us rented bicycles on Sunday.  They were identical vintage looking Raleighs- to me, an essential part of the picture of the suburbs and nuclear families of the 50's.  The bell and the basket help to complete this picture, but i myself ruin it- mostly on account of my long hair, stupid grin and the inevitable gangle factor.  The bike actually seemed to fit Thereza, both aesthetically and physically.  The price worked for both of us anyways- something like 90 cents each for a days riding. 

As every tourist to Asia must so often do, we set off to see the Wats (temples) of the surrounding area.  First we rode out of the walled city of Chiang Mai, across the 'river' and along the college campus to a dirt road leading to Wat Umong.  Wat Umong was recommended by some fellow tourists due to its 'creepy fasting Buddha'.  At this complex of temples in the woods, there was indeed a sculpture of a fasting buddha- it was somewhat stylized, but remarkably true to what images i have seen of starvation- as well as a series of artificial caves for meditations and a network of paths through the forest where trees were decorated with various truisms.  We left Wat Umong and decided to try to visit the one Wat that looked really really great. 

We couldn't see this Wat, really, except as a white speck which appeared and reappeared through the clouds on top of the highest mountain visible.  Really really great idea.  As luck or fate would have it, we came upon a row of taxis offering rides to Wat Doi Suthep.  It would be stupid to rent two bicycles for a day only to lock them at the bottom of a beautifully forested mountain for 3 hours- on this we agreed.  Thereza bargained and i grinned- it would work so well.  The taxis hear are sometimes- as these were- small trucks with vaulted canopies and two benches facing each other.  In time, Thereza succeeded in getting us and our bikes a decent one-way fare to the top. 

There were two thai men in the back of the truck with us on the way up, one (unnecessarily) hanging outside of the truck, both grinning at us every so often as continued to climb and curve up a narrow mountain road for what seemed a very long time.  Thereza and I had time to consider and reconsider the prudence of our decision.  We said things like, 'i don't see anybody else riding back down on bicycles.', 'my travelers insurance information is written in the back of my green book' and 'i wonder if these brake pads are combustible'.  At the top, seeing no proper bicycle parking, we nonchalantly left our cruisers locked up with the motorbikes.

The view from Doi Suthep could be incredible.  You could see forever if not for the haze of pollution hanging over Chiang Mai and the entire valley below. We were able to recognize the small old walled city of Chiang Mai and so see approximately where we started. 

The grounds of Doi Suthep were really memorable.  To get to the temples you walk up over 300 stairs.  At the top of the stairs you find a sea of abandoned shoes, add your shoes to the chaos and buy a ticket.  Like Doi Suthep, most of the temples of northern Thailand have been really bright and vividly painted.  Adding to the impression of the shining gold, orange and reds is the tropical environment- vibrant flowers, vast green trees and blue skies.  At this temple, children lined up to play with a huge ancient looking bell and every Buddhist lit incense. 

Around the walls of the compound, separated by statues of the buddha were murals depicting his life, from birth to enlightenment.  I walked around the whole courtyard, looking at each of the paintings, trying to make sense of what each one represented or just appreciating it anyways.  I didn't see one other person notice them.  Most were getting their pictures taken in front of statues or a gigantic stupa which was covered in gold.

With a little over an hour and a half to return our bicycles and retrieve my passport from the little dot that was the walled city, we decided it was time to get moving.  We gave a mutual pep talk, which was join by a thai man with almost no english as we unlocked our bikes.  This man checked that both of our bikes had functioning brakes and returned my gesture of 'downhill on bike' with a thumbs up and a grin.  With that we were off.


It was actually surprisingly easy on the way down.  The lane we shared with all downhill traffic was too narrow to allow for passing, which was my only serious worry.  I was really happy to find the Thai drivers, in general, to be much more sane and respectful then their Vietnamese neighbors.  They waited to pass until it was safe and doing so gave us plenty of room.  Thereza and I took a few breaks on the way down- some wonderful time away from holding onto the brakes for dear life.  With no dysfunction worse than hand cramps, our descent was over and we continued through Chiang Mai, returning our bikes within minutes of closing time, and getting every Bahts worth. 

I didn't really intend for this to be an essay on our descent, but its time for me to eat and so that is just about what it is.  That and this: monkey town (Lopburi) is in my opinion the home to the cutest thieving sexual predators of the primate family, and i suggest it as a wonderful place to visit... never to live.

About crikeyitsmikey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.