Existing Member?

Mikey Travels Lightly

Saigon fishing

VIETNAM | Sunday, 8 November 2009 | Views [1104]

I really wanted to title this 'saigon fishing', though doesn't really mean anything... I am planning on seeing a water puppet show tonight... thats kind of like fishing, right?  Oh, and i ate seafood last night, of course i didn't catch it.  

I am very happy to be writing on this trip; mostly on paper which is a little easier than finding a computer.  I am having trouble remembering what i've experienced in the last day- making writing both practical and enjoyable.  I have been meeting some great people here, mostly westerners.  I have talked with a vietnamese woman, Thuy, at the coffee shop where i am writing this the last couple of days.  I may try to practice my oh so humble vietnamese with her later.  It takes courage.  I also met a great motorbike driver today, on my way to the history museum.  I have hired Mr Cuong for the day tomorrow, for a tour of the Cu Chi tunnels just outside of Saigon.  Does anybody know how many Dong a 6 hour tour should cost? 

Last night at a cafe i ended up talking to a guy from the big island of hawaii, about my age and a group of ex-pats he was with.  I have seen a few 'ugly americans' in my few days here and find it disgraceful to say the least- i feel like a lot of ex-pats feel that way about me.  Ugly until proven innocent.  It was great to get some aloha, as well as the opportunity to experience saigon a little beneath the surface.  I went to an art opening with this particular group of people and really enjoyed it.  As tara told me- i am apparently in a cultured place.  Nice to be among the artsy, uncomfortable to be smelling fartsy.  As i am sure you can imagine, i was not nearly as presentable as the wonderfully stylish people i met, and i had only taken two showers... The art was enjoyable, i especially liked a series of photographs by a local woman.  They felt voyeuristic- people sleeping in every place and position possible, children playing with anything found etc.  They were photos i would love to take but would not be comfortable taking.  I need a spy cam. 

I did get to take pictures at the History Museum today, for an extra 32,000 VND.  This museum was my favorite yet- a glance at 3000 years of life and art in what is now vietnam.  More religious statues than anything else, also some interest carved political edicts and tools.  The religious culture of vietnam has seemed to me to be an wonderful blend of distinct schools of buddhism, daoism, confucianism, native animism and hinduism.  Lotsa isms. 

The biggest ism must be capitalism.  This is my first experience travelling in a socialist republic and i've only been here a few days but... i am confident that marx would not approve. 

The tropics seem to be a wonderful place to get to experience culture.  As it is always 90 degrees everydoor is always open.  You can see so much of what keeps this city of 4 million moving as you walk down the street.  Imagine seeing engines rebuilt on the sidewalk; families and friends crowded together, eating in a still open t-shirt shop.... and on and on and on.  

Its time for me to go and get another look at the war remnants museum- maybe time to get a watch (many museums and popular sights close for a couple of hours mid-day).

I almost forgot probably the most memorable thing that happened lately- definately the best story- after spending a couple of days in a nicer hotel i moved to a cheaper place.  My room is on the 6th floor and pretty basic.  I was walking up to check out the room and was told to leave my big backpack at the bottom.  As i walked up the 6 flights of stairs, my backpack followed, being hoisted by a winch.  On the 6th floor as i started to grab my bag, something went wrong and yelling in horror watched my backpack fall back down all 6 stories and crash into a pile of luggage at the bottom.

Everything was fine in the end; another guests broken vase was replaced and i was able to fix a broken buckle on my backpack myself.  A young woman at the hotel was probably relieved of her bag loading duties though i am sure that she gained some knowledge of the stress tolerance of your average buckle. 

though horrible at the time, its strangely delightful in retrospect- nobody was hurt right?

About crikeyitsmikey


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.