Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 68 - Simon and Joy

NEPAL | Sunday, 20 April 2008 | Views [649]

Finally got some idea of what is happening. Everything has been a little messed up as I'd lost two weeks of my plans and jumped straight to Thailand, where, well I dont know what Im going to do. I just hope it involves a week on the beach.

Got an email from Dad saying his friends Simon and Joy Leslie had got back to Bangkok and I was to call them. Called ma and pa first to try and find out what was happening at the end of the month - what country are we going to travel to? But surprisingly an international phone call doesnt really seem like a big deal and we just ended up asking silly things that were obvious enough - how are you? how are the dogs? Mum's are you ok? No I'm dying ma, thats why I'm calling.

When I called Simon he was straight to the point - where are you? What are your plans? Do you want to stay? Umm not sure, dont have any but yes for a day or two before hopefully I can scoot on to some beach. He told me the sky-train station next to where he lived and said to call him when I got there. Ok, and left the phone booth to pack before checkout time. Problem was I hadn't used the sky train since I was 10 and that was with the comfort of parents! Then I realised that the phonecard Will had left for me was without credit and I had no idea how to stock it up. 7/11 seemed the best bet, and it was so I bought 3 dollars worth of credit as the checkout chick did everything for me! I wasn't being a tightass either, it is just that cheap!

It was even sweatier when I carried by dayback, bag and laptop out to catch a taxi. The ones in Khao San itself wouldnt use the meter at all, asking for double as much. Instead I lost a litre of water through sweating as I walked out to the highway where I easily flagged a guy down who was ready to use the meter. 2 dollars later and I was at a sky-train station. Seems a brilliant idea for Bangkok, cruising above the traffic packed streets. Buying a ticket was easy and cheap and I headed to a platform that hopefully took me in the right direction. Whichever way that was. I asked a guy in uniform if it went to Phrakanong, the place I was trying to get to, but I couldnt understand his English. Hopped on anyway. The next station it pulled up and said "change for On Nut". Oh shit was I getting on or off? Off sounded more fun so I hopped, but really I think I was just after a seat to rest my bags on. It was lucky but as Phrakanong soon appeared out the window. I prayed that my phone would work as I fumbled the buttons and it did, Simon said he'd be there within 5 minutes. Woohoo I wasn't lost!

Chatted to Simon as we headed back to his house, a nice place with a small pool! I wanted to jump in right then. He said this neighbourhood was for Farangs (foreigners) and rich Thais. Looking at the house I believed him. I met Joy and chatted to them after a quick change into some dry clothes. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was still sweaty, though there was little I could do about it. They were very nice and Joy even made us hamburgers for lunch! I hadn't eaten beef in months and had to explain this to them as I wolfed the buger down. They said that usually they eat Thai food, but on the weekends they need a break. I couldnt blame them, this was heaven!

Later in the afternoon they asked if I wanted to accompany them on afternoon chores. Sounds boring but I was in Bangkok! I wanted to explore a little but didnt even know how to leave the house, so this was an easy way around. First we went to the vet to drop off their happy little dog who had been throwing up for a few weeks. Joy described the vet as private health care for dogs and she was right - 4 people in the room poking at the little dog as it got scared and peed all over the table, twice. The clinic was 5 stories - even had an elevator!

Then we wandered through the Emporium shopping mall doing a few odd jobs. The place is massive and the air-conditioning was a blessing. There were more people working than shopping despite the place being packed out. Simon said that there is no unemployment in Thailand - it is so cheap to hire somebody they tend to hire way more staff than they need to make everything overly easy. He proved his point when we parked the car underneath the mall - a guy decked out in flash uniform handed us the parking ticket from the machine opposite Simon's window. That was his job, even though we could reach it easy.

Then to the supermarket for some groceries. I had a good laugh as everything here is the opposite to Australia. Rather than selling locally made products, they had imported everything from Australia! They even had a small section totally dedicated to Australian fruits, veg and dairy.

Back at the house I chilled out reading a book for an hour before we went out for dinner. I had thought that they might have taken me to somewhere local for some authentic Thai foods, but it was the weekend and so they were having a break from the spices. So we ended up at the Londoner's Pub. There was a really, really good buffet on with everything from seafood to roast lamb. There wasn't much Thai food apart from the sticky rice for dessert, but then again its  not too often you see fresh prawns and smoked salmon in a London Pub. I pigged out, making the most of the all-you-can-eat, especially when it came to the meats. I had craved some roast beef and lamb - the only mutton you get in Nepal is goat! When I couldn't eat another slice of apple pie I almost felt at home, being forced upon Grandma's good cooking, but then we left and the humidity of the night smacked me as I walked out the door.

With a full stomach and a comfortable bed (and aircon!) there was nothing else for me to do apart from read the last Harry Potter book, from cover to cover. I think I went to sleep just as Simon and Joy were getting up to go to work.

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.