Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 69 - The Emporium

NEPAL | Monday, 21 April 2008 | Views [508]

It was just as hard to get out of bed (sleep deprived from reading the whole harry potter book) as it was to stay in it with the heat and humidity! I groggily got up to find that Simon and Joy had gone for work and their maid was steadily cleaning the house. I had a joyous discovery of cereal and fresh milk - the only thing thats really caused homesickness. Weetbix and cornflakes! I called mum and dad to find out what was going on, told to wait another day to hear. So with nothing else to do I decided to explore a nearby shopping mall called the Emporium.

I was a bit hesitant leaving their house, mainly because I was worried that I might not be able to find it again. Would be especially bad as I dont know how reliable the 7 year old phone I'm using is. To hell with it, I wandered out with the sky-train platform guiding me. Hopped on a train and was at Phrom Pheng or wherever in a jiffy. Easy. I just hoped it would be as easy on the way back!

The Emporium is odd (for me anyway) when it comes to prices - some things are a lot more expensive here than they would be back home and vice versa. But most importantly the stuff I want is cheaper. I didn't do any shopping as I knew that the prices are a little bit inflated to pay for the 6 staff assigned to you in each shop. Instead I just wandered around savouring the airconditioning before hitting up the cinemas. Less than three dollars for a very comfy semi-reclining chair! I felt stingy not paying the 2 extra for a deluxe seat but I didnt need it. The "superhero movie" was simply shit but it was nice to sit in an empty cinema with comfortable chairs and airconditioning. No joke, I was the only person in the whole place.

Bored of what is essentially Bangkok's David Jones, I headed back to Simon and Joy's for a dip in the pool. They weren't going to get back until the evening so I had plenty of time to do nothing. Made me wish I hadn't have read the whole of Harry Potter as I could've read it by the pool in the afternoon with a whole night's sleep.

Not a great deal more happened. When Simon and Joy got back we had dinner, Joy had even told the maid not to put chilli in the food for me! Then we talked for a while and I learnt about getting around Bangkok and Thailand - how to use the buses, trains etc. It is a lot easier than it was in Nepal!

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.