Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 67 - Damn Its Hot

THAILAND | Saturday, 19 April 2008 | Views [566]

This place is crazy! Very similar to the tourist sections of Kathmandu but ultimately catering for beach goers without a beach! I wish I had a place like this near school, especially with the same prices.

I had a disastrous attempt at going for a morning jog. It was so hot that by the time I'd left my guest house beads of sweat were dripping off me. I stumbled around the block before calling it quits and having a blessed cold shower. No need for hot water anytime of the day - why the hell would you want to get warmer?

People were sculling beers as I scouted around for some decent-looking street stalls at 8am. Now I know why Aussies have a reputation about drinking beer any time of the day. In the heat I was quite tempted to join them! Settled instead for some odd looking tarts that I later discovered (on a streetstall with english) are custard puddings. Damn good way to start the day. Only I wasn't sure what to do after that. Wandering seemed the best idea but I wasn't too keen to see any more temples or the like. So I browsed around the river, wandering past a big park to the Royal Palace but couldnt get in as I wasn't wearing long pants. Stuff that, no way im walking all this way in pants. A girl on a bench in the park called out if I wanted any sex, noone looked over surprised.

Bought a second-hand book and kicked back under the fan in my room as the middle of the day kicked in - its so stinking hot and humid. I had drunk 3 litres of water since arriving and hadnt peed once. All the water in my body was coming out as sweat.

The rest of the day involved me eating Pad Thai and savouring a cold beer whilst reading my book. It didn't stay cold for long - most of the other people in the bar were ordering ice to put in their schooners! I finished one and a half James Patterson novels before finally getting to sleep in the heat.

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.