Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 58 - Election Day

NEPAL | Thursday, 10 April 2008 | Views [485]

In an odd surprise today was actually the most peaceful one I've had in Thamel! Everyone treated the occasion like a public holiday - using the car roads to play cricket and soccer! But no alcohol has been on sale for a few days and all the bars are closed so no partying.

Though of course nearly everything was closed. It took me an hour to find somewhere for breakfast - a hotel restaurant/bakery. For my dollar or two breakfast budget I could sit down in the fancy garden and buy a cup of tea, so i opted instead for a huge chunk of banana cake from the bakery (not as good as grandmas). For lunch I lucked upon a small juice bar that makes very good muesli. I even bumped into the tour guide that took us around the monkey temple! A few souvenir shops opened as the day progressed but I had to spend another hour to find a place for dinner, and my "Tibetan Pizza" was oddly satisfying in the packed place (was like a pancake with sauce and cheese). I had to share tables with a polish couple and even though it was nice to have company for a change conversation was limited as I couldn't understand their heavy accents. A new zealander on the table across was interested when I mentioned that I just got back from base-camp though again the conversation was short-lived when he presumed I was from Perth because of the long hair!

The hotel guys had stolen me a Maoist flag and so we celebrated with the guava juice I had promised them. They said that a Czech guy had put in an order as well! They also managed to coerce a couple of japanese guys to get them some mango juice, so I spent most of the morning playing cards and drinking juice in the hotel lobby.

Other than that it was a relatively boring day. Used the free time and WHOLE day of power to organise the photos and watch a movie, again no bloody ending on the dvd!

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.