Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 57 - Aalu Paneer?

NEPAL | Wednesday, 9 April 2008 | Views [426]

I didn't quite realise how accustomed I have become to Thamel until the past few days. When I showed the group around I navigated with ease yet the look on their faces said that they would have been lost! As well as this I am bored already, desperately trying to find new or different things to do.

One of these is new places to eat. I have taken a liking to "momo restaurants", small diners more designed for the locals. Apart from being cheap, some of the best meals I've had are at these small restaurants! But they aren't catering for tourists and hence the menu's aren't the greatest. Although in English they tend to be challenging, especially when you don't know local cuisines. I usually just guess, ordering naan as a really tasy addition in case I can't stomach the main meal! For lunch today I ordered Aalu Paneer with no idea what was to be served. A few minutes went by and I remembered that one of those words means tofu! Gross. Thankfully they had stinged on the tofu and given me a lot more potato; making a great curry to be had with the naan bread!

Had a few pre-dinner games of cards with the hotel guys though they hadn't got my flag yet. One took out a small packet of what he called brown sugar, sticking a wad in his gums. He offered me some but I got the feeling it wasn't sweet and had to refuse.

The office was as confusing as ever, so I just sat and read a very old lonely planet for trekking that happened to be on the desk. It was interesting seeing how much had and hadn't changed in over a decade! As it was a half day because of tomorrows elections, I was again ditched to fend for myself over the afternoon. Tomorrow nearly everything is meant to be closed so I will be restrained to my hotel room! Then the next day noone is sure as there could be violence and a lot of places aren't opening as a precaution! I sure hope the bars that are closed today are reopen by saturday as noone has RSVP'd positively to my birthday bash invite. Don't know why...

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.