Existing Member?

300 faces

Day 59 - I Hate Tourists

NEPAL | Friday, 11 April 2008 | Views [505] | Comments [1]

This might seem a bit contradicting because I am one, though having been in Nepal for about 8 weeks I think I can claim some local status. I've always had a small dislike for the stereotypical tourist but the past few days have really accentuated it. Whilst the hippies tend to fit in to the surroundings quite well the trekking season has brought in all the gore-tex clad tourists that stop every five metres to take a picture of, well, nothing whilst you bump into them from behind. They also ruin the whole relaxing feel of a holiday as when I was having a beer a couple came in and loudly talked about all the stupid touristy things they did today - as though they were reading straight from the lonely planet! You could argue that I was a tourist when I first arrived so long ago, and I might have been slightly (i'll never admit it), but I differ and believe that I was a scared shitless 17 year old. I didn't even visit the monkey temple until the group arrived!

As you can tell I'm running out of things to write about as daily events dissappear into the norm. At the moment I'm more planning for next week's trip to India and the last-week rush before it. Im visiting a hospital in Raxaul, smack bang on the nepal/india border where i'll hopefully have a job as a doctor's assistant later in the year. Im visiting to make sure there haven't been any miscommunications and that I'm not expected to operate on anyone! Lonely planet describes it as a place you travel through and don't stop. Yippee.

Comments

1

Tomorrow you will be a shitful 18 year old

  counsell Apr 13, 2008 2:08 PM

About counsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.