Existing Member?

The Wild Blue

First Week, Pt. 2

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 31 January 2012 | Views [560]

So where was I?

Oh yeah talking about Drunk people at Bunk. So Bunk is the hostel I decided to stay in for Australia Day night, this decision was based on a couple friends recommending it to me, since they were also staying there. Let me paint you a bit of a picture of my experience walking in there.

First off the Reception was pretty decent, seemed like a laid back easy going spot.So i check in and proceed to meet up with my friends. As i'm on my way to their dorm on the 4th floor I notice squashed bugs almost ingrained into the carpet, while above me i can here a strange kind of chirping coming from the cieling. I can only guess this is the sound cockroaches make, since although i've never seen nor heard one in person before, the squashed bugs seem to fit roughly fit the description. Continueing along i come across an obviously wet spot on the carpet which gave off a horrid stench, apparently someone failed to make it to the bathroom across the hall. Awesome. So after spending the day out and about, I come back to my own room and notice that almost the entire ceiling is splotching with mold. As you can imagine I am now questioning my friends judgement about what constitues a 'good' hostel.

Whatever. It was just for one night. Aside from drunken and hostel antics, I've had the chance to see the majority of the city now. From the Gallery of Modern art to the Brisbane Museum, to the Story bridge lit up brightly in the night. It's a gorgeous city. and I've uploaded more shots in the brisbane and botanical gardens galleries.

I was starting to tire of urban life, so I spent the weekend at Stradbrooke Island, a couple of hours outside of downtown. stay tuned for tales of surfing and sunburning.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.