Existing Member?

The Wild Blue

WWOOFing

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 15 February 2012 | Views [779] | Comments [1]

Willing Workers On Organic Farms.

I've wanted to learn more about farming for a while now, so in an effort to put my financial woes on hold I've started volunteering on an organic farm called Dukes Plain, near a tiny little town called theodore, check the map. It's not a bad deal, in exchange for 4-6 hours work 5/6 days a week, food and accomodation are provided. This makes wwoofing totally expenseless, not only that but the idea behind the program is to get volunteers to learn about as many aspects of the farms as possible, from trimming the weeds, to mustering cattle, to building a stable. I've been here since last friday, and its been an awesome time, although with a few bumps in the road.

Nearby there are some sandstone caves that have aboriginal handprints and etchings in them. The hills around the caves are beleived to be a burial ground, and the handprints may have been those of people either dying or already dead. They frequently used red ochre in their art, and the hand prints are outlined in it. I grabbed a few shots which i'll upload sometime over the next few days.

I've developed much more respect for the australian bush after taking a hike up a nearby mountain and getting swarmed by hornets. The buggers are 2 inches long and they build their nests inside of old dead trees in such a way that they are almost invisible unless you're specifically looking for them. They defend these hives ferociously from anyone so much as walking by them. The forest here is filled with old dead trees and it would be impossible to avoid going near all of them, so its kind of like playing minesweeper. The first time the buggers got me 3 times in the neck and 3 more in and around the ear. The day after that i'm helping shane lift a drill mechanism for the tractor and what do you know? a wasp nest sitting on the underside of it, almost exactly where i put my hand to lift. Great start.

It's been pretty fun all in all though, the people here are super friendly, the area around here is gorgeous and i'm having an awesome time learning about cattle. I might even get a chance to learn to ride a horse a bit later in the month too.

Its getting near 6:00am now though and i think breakfast might be just about ready. catch you later in the week.

 

Comments

1

And suddenly I feel like you're living my life before moving to the city. lol.
I miss riding horses, now THAT is freedom.
Have fun mate.

  Seth Feb 17, 2012 6:56 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.