Existing Member?

The Wild Blue

Stradbrooke Island

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 31 January 2012 | Views [534]

Edited for more edits!

So after several attempts at uploading pictures, I've given up. Apparently the library computers don't let you do that kinda thing around here. So instead I'll post another segment, then maybe see if i can find a net cafe around somewhere to upload pics. 

This weekend I spent on stradbrook island which is fairly close to brisbane, only a couple hours and accesible by a train and then a water taxi. Upside was a good hostel, decent traveling companion and a chance to learn to surf for free. Downside was that it rained for 2 of the 3 days i was there and on the 1 rain-free day it was still overcast without a hint of blue in the sky. The major downside is that because it was cloudy and overcast, i figured it would be ok not to wear any sunscreen. despite there being a sign in the hostel specifically stating that the sun here is strong & that you should ALWAYS wear sunscreen. Stupid stupid stupid.

Surfing was bloody awesome. The hostel had a free surf board and a body board for residents to take out, so Luke and I each grabbed one and headed for the beach as soon as we realized it wasn't raining out. The hardest part was getting out to the waves because of the strong current running along the length of the beach. We first went in the water away from everyone else, in part because we didnt want to make fools of ourselves, and in part because we didnt want to smash into anyone else accidentally. this proved to be an almost disastrous idea however, since we didn't know about the current. We ended up way down from the sand and we crashed up on the rocks far down the shore. Amazingly we both emerged unscathed and still holding onto our boards.

Humbled, we decided to go over to the lifeguard station and stick near the group as much as we could. After several hours of trudging chest deep through waves and current, just to hop on a board and ride the water back in to shore I think I was starting to become pretty good at it. At one point near the end, I was even able to get up on my knees without having my hands on the board at all. Pretty good for only receving a few tips from other people surfing out there with us.

When i got back to the hostel I was starting to feel kinda sore and once evening rolled around I was aching all over and looked like a red chili pepper. Went to bed real early, burnt to a crisp and light headed from the heat.

Next morning we pack up and head back to the city.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.