Existing Member?

Europe2015

Rome Saturday October 3

ITALY | Saturday, 3 October 2015 | Views [250]

The coliseum by night

The coliseum by night

By the time we woke this morning Hawthorn was well in control of the grand final, it started at 6.30am local time. Got score updates from the afl app, but the score didn't sound like it was too exciting. Except maybe for you Matt!

We traveled to Rome this morning and were able to check into our hotel despite being early. It is really nice, in a quiet residential area.

Had some lunch at, we're not quite sure what to call it, but we stood up and had a meal which was really good and cheap. It wasn't quite a bakery,  but was similar and sold meals and pizza and pane by the kilo. 

Rome isn't quite what we expected, it doesn't seem as chaotic, and the streets are wider than we imagined. It would have been nice to hold that thought, but after we jumped on the hop on - hop off bus our opinion changed. Bloody tourists! We saw the absolute worst of them, and there was a barney on the bus. Just familiarised ourselves and our first impressions were really good. The tour wasn't that far in distance but still took an hour and a half.  Amazing history,  beautiful buildings and quite friendly locals. We were surprised by the amount of English spoken.

Went to the supermarket for our obligatory drinks and nibbles. Did the hop on - hop off thing by night and the views by night were a nice contrast. We had passed a gelaterie close to our hotel a couple of times today that had queues out into the streets, and we went in there on our way home tonight. Well all we can say is bloody amazing! Left anything else we had for dead.

 Caught the Rugby Union World Cup game between Australia and England on tv tonight. Italian tv with German commentary! The only thing we recognised was some of the players names. 

About colandscott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.