Existing Member?

Europe2015

Naples Wednesday September 30

ITALY | Wednesday, 30 September 2015 | Views [274]

Florence from Piazzale Michaelangelo

Florence from Piazzale Michaelangelo

We boarded the hop on - hop off bus and went up to Piazzale Michaelangelo. It sits across the Arno River with wonderful views over Florence. It is on the opposite side of the city to that of Fiesole that we been to on Monday. A bronze statue of David stands in the middle of the square facing the city. We were maybe a day early,  but they were setting up for a gelato festival! There was also a chance to test drive a Ferrari, but alas time didn't permit. Short on time we jumped back on the next bus, which took us through the heart of the city. There is an amazing amount of piazzas in Florence, and even though the city is a restricted access zone, the traffic is heavy. Pedestrian traffic is also heavy. 

After gathering our belongings from the hotel we boarded our train bound for Naples. It was a Frecciarossa service, and left our fast train the other day for dead. Top speed of 360 kph v 200 kph for the Frecciabianca, and we saw 294 kph as our speed! Melbourne - Albury service eat your heart out. 

Shortly before arriving at our hotel in Naples,  Scott was the target for a pickpocket. He had put something on my shoulder and wanted to clean it off. While his mate cleaned me out! He was brushed haside in no uncertain terms and given short shrift. Our hotel is very nice,  quite modern while residing in a beautiful building that dates back to the 19th century. 

Because Scott's foot was still red, swollen and sore, we ate in at the hotel. Unfortunately walking is still a struggle. The meal was great and unbelievably good value. 

About colandscott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.