Existing Member?

Europe2015

Bellagio Tuesday September 22

ITALY | Tuesday, 22 September 2015 | Views [242]

The view from our apartment in Bellagio

The view from our apartment in Bellagio

We're going our separate ways today, it is Jeannette and Greg's anniversary. 

After breakfast at a local cafe, we set out on a town walk. We had a walking guide that said 2 hour walking time, but we managed a little more than the guide said, getting off the beaten track. So much so that Col's fitbit said 15 km. The walk took us up hills, so lots of flights of stairs. Second to tourism, Bellagio's biggest industry is horticulture. They supply most of Italys and some of Europe's trees, shrubs and plants. We saw some pretty suburbs of Bellagio including a fishing village, Pescallo. There were lots of beautiful villas and gardens. 

Found our way to the Villa Melzi, that was built in 1808-1810. Melzi was vice president of the Italian Republic founded by Napoleon. There are magnificent English gardens and we recognised a lot of shrubs and plants that we also have in Australia. Our visit was interrupted by rain, but we didn't have far to return to our apartment. After a late lunch we finished off our tour. It has been very overcast all day and we think ourselves lucky we arrived yesterday in brilliant sunshine. 

A few drinks in our apartment and we went to a bar for some dinner. 

About colandscott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.