Existing Member?

Europe2015

Venice Friday September 18

ITALY | Friday, 18 September 2015 | Views [269]

We're in Venice!

We're in Venice!

We went up on deck at 11am this morning.  The Maitre d and our waiter had highly recommended watching our approach into Venice on the starboard side. The cruise director rated it in the 3 best ports in the world, along with New York and Sydney. My god, what stunning views. It took the best part of an hour and a half from the time we entered the Venetian Lagoon to our berthing. Unlike the other ports, the ship was towed in by tugs. It was like Pitt St or Bourke St, except with boats and gondolas! 

We got off the ship to get our bearings, found our respective hotels and worked out the public transport system. Our first impressions, in Col's words, of Venice was a 'water fairy land, something magical.' The island (Venezia) was very busy with tourists and after crossing the Ponte Della Liberta to the mainland to Mestre which is the main residential and business district. 

Having got our bearings, we returned to the ship sans the letter we had gone to the hotel to retrieve. Shortly after we received an email that the letter we were expecting was indeed at the hotel. Last drinks at the bar, we made our way to the dining room for our last dinner on board.  Formal photos and many sad goodbyes, especially Karen and John. We exchanged contact details and they promised to visit Australia. A sad farewell to our waiter,  whom we nominated as our 'consummate host.'

About colandscott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.