Existing Member?

Europe2015

Barcelona Saturday September 5

SPAIN | Saturday, 5 September 2015 | Views [239]

After a relatively sleepless night, we started working out a plan of attack. Scott is kicking himself as he had separated his cards, with the travel cards in the mobile phone wallet and the backup cards in his wallet. Made the cardinal sin of having them together in the console of the car. The internet in our apartment is terrible so went for to a cafe for a coffee and to use their wifi. Got all the phone numbers we needed and moved some money on net banking. Then we bought a local sim card and got to work ringing our various banking providers.

Having done all we needed to do, finished a late lunch in our apartment and went walking around the town with Jeannette and Greg. The architecture in Barcelona is very striking and attractive. we visited la Sagrada Familia, which Lonely Planet rates as the number one tourist attraction in Spain. It is a temple initially developed by Antonio Gaudi and occupies a whole block in the middle  of the city. He worked on it for 43 years and it's said to be 'a slender structure devoted to geometric perfection and sacred symbolism.' Construction began in 1882 and is expected to be completed by 2020-2040! There were hordes of people around it and the queue to enter is quite long. We didn't want to go in anyway, we actually found the architecture gaudy. It seems a mish mash of styles and construction materials, and we're not quite sure what the fuss is all about.

Time to let off some steam we topped of our supplies with a trip to the supermercat had ourselves a little party back in our apartment. When the discussion turned to dinner it was quite late and none of us could be bothered going out! One point to note is that takeaway grog , available in supermarkets is very cheap. A 12 pack of Heineken for €7.36 and bottles of Spanish champagne for less than €10. Greg was eyeing off the spirit prices which were less than half the price of oz.

About colandscott


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.