Existing Member?

Round the World in 301 Days As long as we can just keep putting one foot in front of the other, well make it.

In the Ghetto

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 4 May 2008 | Views [848] | Comments [6]

Well, ive been getting lazy with this diary thing i can see now, and its time for a nice big update to get me back on track!

We spent a few more days on the Gili Islands and enjoyed plenty of sun, too much sea, and what felt like sand absolutely everywhere possible. I got sick and slept a day away, snoozing for a marathon 23 hours straight. When i came round i felt fairly awful and didnt eat for a couple of days but instead excisted on bananna milkshakes and bottled water.

The guys we met turned out to be truly brilliant travelling companions and there was seldom a dull moment to be had. Hatef, Shaan, Jay, Reed, Magan and Alina provided near non-stop entertainment and due to our numbers and the fact that the island was so small it only took 30 seconds before you bumped into someone, no planning involved. There was snorkling a plenty in the insistant sunshine which never relented, and then in the evening, by the beach, we ate like kings. One evening Jay ate a huge lobster banquet and it cost next to nothing... it looked goooood! I, being about as adventurous as a hermit with agoraphobia, always ate the same thing, three times a day, without fail. Nasi Goreng. This is fried rice with shredded chicken and vegetables through, a large prawn cracker and 2 peanut chicken satay skewers on the side. Excellent every time, it only costs about a pound for a portion thatll squash even the mightiest of hungers - a thing which i seemed to suffer from less than our travelling friends who, amazingly, ate 2 main courses for almost every meal.

We had the good fortune to be approached by an Australian fella while on the Gili Islands, who wanted nothing more than company aboard his 40ft catamaran while the sun set. Blimey, what a boat!! He is a mining man, into gold in China, but also works on the board of directors for a company in Indonesia and manufactures these amazing catamarans to spec first of all for himself, then after realising the market, for a little extra money and the bragging rights that go with being a tycoon - something the three servants aboard his yatch would suggest he is. It was lovely to sail out and see the sunset from the middle of the sea, whilst being served any drink we wanted, free, and all this guy Wayne wanted was an ear to bend about his exploits in the past. A very small price to pay for the 5 star treatment we recieved.

Jo and i had planned to part ways with the guys we'd met as they had almost a week left of their trip and we were due to fly two days later, but they all wanted to stick together and head back to Balis' Kuta beach as a group. There was an internalional DJ playing that night and everyone wanted to go see him so we got to spend our last nite in town with these guys which was great - the more the merrier is an expression made for just such an occasion. We went to a Forrest Gump theme restaurant and ate shrimp and drank cocktails, and ran up a bill that was literally seven figures, but it was good times and worth it as a last hurrah in a country where things are cheap and plenty cheerful. Jo and i woke early the next day to do some last minute shopping and succeded in buying total junk for about another million which we boxed up and shipped home as a treat to ourselves for when we arrive back. Thats the second big box of garbage weve sent home and i already cant remember the contents of the first we sent from China!! Itll be exciting to get back to im sure of that - i know there are for sure 6 pairs of shoes, 3 automatic watches and a guitar case but thats just the tip of the iceberg.

We left Bali, our new friends, and Indonesia for Bangkok, where we would connect with our flight to Australia. Sad that the third world leg of the trip was over, we boarded our flight and made our way to Perth where we landed just after midnight, and in the spirit of saving money i made Jo sleep on a bench in the airport until morning when we could go check in to a hostel and feel like winners who had saved some cash by being truly 'Murdoch' thrifty. And winners we were. A room for the night cost $70. Thats 4 days accom in a 4 star hotel in Bali. Damned Australians had crushed my spirits after only 20 minutes outside of the airport. When i discovered, very very shortly after, that a beer would be almost as expensive, i was on my way back to the airport, until Jo calmed me down and explained that although a beer cost $8, we'd soon have jobs that paid $24 an hour and that cushioned the blow. But only slightly.

Were staying in dorms now for the first time on this holiday and it isnt as bad as id nightmared it would be. It is, however, only marginally better. Than a concentration camp. In the grip of a particularly cruel winter. In Hell. Im a snob though and i know itll grow on me, this 'roughing it' business. As will the mould from all the dirty laundry and half eaten snacks scattered about the floor. But seriously - weve met some interesting people already. One of our room mates was a US Marine, one was our divemaster from Koh Tao in Thailand (a bizarre coinvidence), and the others are quiet Korean and Germans. Im on a top bunk.........

Weve been to the zoo here in Perth and seen the spectacle that was the 4 and a half meter salt water crocodile. What a beast. The only word i could possible use to describe it would have to be 'prehistoric', but 'evil' wouldnt be far off either, and would have certainly have done as good a job at putting my point across. Expect several thousand pictures of Giraffes and other various zoo beasts. We were pretty lucky with the lions - a lioness woke and stared prowling as we arrived and she went on to roar and roar whilst standing on top of an outcrop of rock, presumably to reinforce the stereotype that this is what lions are MEANT to do, before she went back to sleeping and looking like a stuffed imitation of a lion. I love zoos, but the next one i go to will be in San Diego - the biggest zoo on earth!! OOOOHHHHH!!!!!

A couple of days ago, having exhausted all that the city itself has to offer, we caught a train to the town of Fremantle. There are loads of museums, cafes and markets there and we went to most of them. The real reason to go to Fremantle though is the enormous submarine on permanent display on the dry dock at the museum of maritime history. Its a big'n. We were allowed a full tour too, and spent over an hour poking around inside that giant metal cigar with a very enthusiastic tour guide who apparently know all there is to know about the 'Submarine Ovens'. Thats the name of the sub, not the kitchen based focus of his knowledge. There would have been some great snaps today too, had the zoo not emptied the battery so completely that the camera was still charging when we set off, forcing us to miss out on the photo bonanza presented to us. This mighty sub, now decomissioned, was hauled out of the water and last used on the 13th of December, 1995. My 12th birthday.

Jo and i have registered with a couple of agencies to work here in Perth for a few weeks, just to get some cash toward a better car. It isnt going well. Infact, at one of the agencies, it isnt going at all. The other on the other hand has loads of jobs and keeps insisting that we arent getting into the spirit of things. Things that we arent getting into the spirit of include olive picking in the middle of nowhere, olive oil bottling a little further away than that, and a job on an island suitable for a couple of 'Jack and Jill of all trades'. In the spirit of things though Jo expresed interest online for 2 jobs yesterday, one of which said 'works part time needed, doing jobs.' . The other had less information to give but promised a handsome salary for the right applicant. I doubt, however, that anyone is the right applicant.

Today i found a new low. Jo is laughing her ass off even as i write this. Damned Jo. The 1,2,3,4, used to be marine core, fella who sleeps in our room, told us that, although American and therefore not allowed to work in Oz, he had a job that paid cash in hand daily for just standing around. Fascinated by both doing nothing for money, and certainly being given any money at all, Jo and i were interested enough to say wed also like to have a bash at this wonderful job. This job. Collecting money for charity. Charity. tut tut tut. Of the money we collect we recieve 35% and thats the deal. The government take 15%. The organisers take 20%. That leaves a pokey little 30% for the poor charity itself, but thats not the biggest tragedy, honestly id be amazed if they ever saw a dime. The biggest tragedy is that this job, if put in the right spot, gives you the chance for some serious earning. The girl who made the most today took home over $400. I, being as it was my first day and im a big guy who can apparently take care of himself, was placed outside a supermarket geared towards the terminally destitute, three doors down from a minimum security insane asylum, in the back end of nowhere. The only people who donated any money were the wealthy ones who stumbled across this hellhole unawares and gave money as a nervous reaction to the violence and verbal barrages being banded around by the aboriginals.. One man claimed that the hollywood stars of this era had the answer to world peace. When i didnt ask him what that answer was he told me in no uncertain terms that, and i was to make no mistake about it, Jesus was the answer to all our problems, as hed overheard a very believeable guy saying that Jesus Saves, and that was that. Charity work... Not for the feint hearted. Jo on the other hand made wads of cash. While i was lucky to catch the coppers that were thrown at me, Jo was forming orderly cues of people who wanted to give her notes and make pleasant small talk. I actually heard someone outside the market where i was posted ask their friend is they wanted to go back to the sewers. The answer was yes, and off they went.

Tomorrow im going to become a furniture removal man, a frozen meat packer, a brick layer, or a labourer. Today im going to nurse some swolen feet. Yesterday, in the name of charity, i stood perfectly still, without pause, for 10 and a half hours. Jo is still laughing.

From here were gonna head South and see what we can see, but thats all job depending. Were buying a car and its looking like itll be a 13 year old Ford Falcon with 300,000km on her clock. What can you realy expect for five hundred pounds here though? Ozdralia is very expensive.

Ill be better at keeping you all posted as soon as we get somewhere with better proximity to the internet, this hostel has 4 of 4 computers on the blink. Fortunately there is a web cafe next door, and from here ill keep in touch!

 

 

Comments

1

So nice to have another story to read. Love the pictures, the weather doesn't look to bad. So you are not cut out for charity work, never mind, keep Jo at it and become a kept man! Love and hugs to you both. I see you have a booked a ticket back in January of next year - it seems such a long time away so keep up the journal. xx

  Mum May 5, 2008 8:36 PM

2

alright guys,

meaty update this time chris and it was a very good read as well. I feel like im living through you because my days consist of: phone call job rejections for jobs i didnt know and still am not sure i even applied for, my own company and the tiny amount of people i meet, including friends.

keep up the hard work, Sam :)

  sam May 5, 2008 9:08 PM

3

19 degrees today best so far!! We are off to Turkey on a yacht on Friday with Margaret and Mike Stephen and Kathleen. for a week. Sounds paltry compared with your trip.

You have redeemed yourself by the new entry well done and take care.
love to you both
Kate

  kate and co May 6, 2008 6:20 AM

4

Getting closer now.

Make sure you allow plenty of time for Byron Bay.

You want to sample Gourmet Kebabs and Fish and Chips from Fish heads.


Also bear in mind a chain of Bakeries called "Brumbys" (red signs) they're a great place to grab breakfast. I recommend the cheese and vegemite scrolls.

Where are your next ports of call?

hit me an e-mail with east coast plans and I'll point out whatever I can.

  Jamie May 6, 2008 4:07 PM

5

good bit of diary - wondered when you were going to reappear....keep up "the good work". All the way to OZ and you go to the zoo ? Love to you both
dad.

  dad May 7, 2008 2:01 AM

6

Hello!

I'm currently living in Perth and i'm looking for a weekend job.
Things are desperate and i'm thinking the above charity job doesn't sound too bad as i have done this thing before.
If you could email the details and give me some advice i would be very grateful
cheers
Paul

  Paul Holt Jun 9, 2008 12:38 PM

About cjmurdoch


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.