Existing Member?

Round the World in 301 Days As long as we can just keep putting one foot in front of the other, well make it.

Itchy Feet

THAILAND | Saturday, 12 April 2008 | Views [795] | Comments [4]

From the diving mekka of Koh Tao we have headed south to more beaches and sunshine, retracing our footsteps from a couple of years ago.  We went to Phuket by bus then caught a cab with a pair of 60 something Slovakians over to the beach resort of Kata Noi, a few beaches away from the mega touristy Patong beach, where the infestation of Sweden is completely intolerable.  We showed up at the front door of the same place we stayed the last time and she welcomed us in like we were her only customers in days which, apparently, we were.  Cheaper this time too.  I love a bargain!  We spent a few days mooching around the shops and lying on the very sparsely populated beaches but, having been there before, we were none to enthusiastic to stay long so bought tickets for the next leg of our journey - next stop the little island of Phi Phi, where they filmed the film "the beach".  That night it rained so hard the building shook and when the thunder and lightning started competing for their share of the chaos we were hit by a citywide powercut. And that was that.  Not to worry though, early to bed, early to rise we were up and on our way at 7am to where we are now. Phi Phi Island. 

Wed been on the island for about an hour, had just dumped our bags, and were ofcourse overcome by the need for our first drink of the day so we headed to the first bar we came across and sat down.  Not 2 minutes later, with a head still on my beer, and this vanishes within seconds, who walks by but the guys we stayed with in Macau, the poker masters themselves.  The world simply isnt this small.  Madness.  Anyway, there they were over for a couple of weeks holiday so we all geared up and a big night out was had.  We went to a bar where there was a Thai boxing ring in the center and watched as these guys beat each other black and blue, before they invited up tourists to do the same to each other.  Great!  More beer, some dancing, and then home to bed to await the hangover. 

We dived a couple of days ago and it was the best thing ever.  We saw 2 sharks, 2 turtles and all sorts of Lionfish and the likes.  Its more expensive here, but the sights in the big blue are spectacular.  Weve now done 16 dives.

 
Every day here theres free bbq's and free drinks aplenty but it gets real old, real quick, so to avoid the next 2 weeks doing just this we have booked a holiday from our holiday and leave tomorrow for Indonesia.  A wee jaunt to Bali and the paradise of the Gili Islands, some surfing and plenty of diving at rock bottom prices.  I love Bali so i cant wait, then we fly back to Bangkok on the 24th and off to Oz on the 25th. 

More later. 

Comments

1

Jealousy is oozing from every pore! Sounds like you are having an amazing time :)

Keep up the diary - you are a great journal keeper and at least I can live through you on your adventure and not think too hard about the rain and eternal job hunt :p

Love to both of you, take care of yourselves and keep smiling!

xxxxx

  Matahari Apr 12, 2008 5:00 PM

2

I think my day is fairly boring until I read your journal then I realise is is not fairly boring it is VERY boring compared to diving, sunbathing, boating, etc. You can keep the shark part tho'. Love and hugs to you both xx

  Mum Apr 14, 2008 9:26 PM

3

Looks fantastic - brilliant to get all the diving stuff so cheap
It rains and rains some more so enjoying looking at the pics.
Remember to contact Ali when you eventually get to Oz
Lots of love
Vic and Juls
x

  Vic and Juls Apr 15, 2008 5:26 AM

4

Bonjour Mon amie

Hows life. NY was superb will have some fotos up soon. Just looking forward to the start of pipe band season back here an applying for Uni. I think a quick 4 year honors in photography and film will sort me right out. No holidays booked at the moment which is a scunner. A quick city break and the west highland way iare on the cards for June then off to 4th year for kirsten

  Calvin Apr 16, 2008 10:52 PM

About cjmurdoch


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.