Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Mas...

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Thursday, 29 April 2010 | Views [587] | Comments [2]

Wow. Less than six months to go, and already I am a bit nostalgic for this country and my experience here without even leaving yet. I think it is because my good friend and fellow volunteer in my site finishes and leaves for the states next week. Now I will be really alone here, in terms of volunteers. I ride the guagua into the capitol and look out over the mountains and trees and feel as if it is my last time enjoying the view. I think I am more sad than my friend is, as this whole experience is tiring and sometimes just needs to end – she is happy to be leaving. I, for now, am trying to enjoy it all, because October is just around the corner, and I will be even more sad then.

March brought a new project to my attention – a women’s group in a nearby campo. Initially, when I first got to the DR, I  wanted to work with women, and now I have my chance. It is not that much easier than working with kids, to be honest, as they can be even rowdier than the kids. No joke. I am working with a wonderful lady from Nueva Yol, that wants to empower and train women to market crafts in country and abroad. Jewelry is our business, and their name is Nuevo Amancer or New Awakenings. First workshop went prettly smooth, considering that we were baking in the community center (check out the sweat stains in the pictures – gross). Second workshop was like working in a zoo. Word got out about the jewelry workshop and even more women and kids showed up. I was translating the whole way and my brain got so tangled and confused that I wanted to flag down the next car driving down for a bola back into town. Instead I sucked it up and tried to have patiences for the LOUD women asking (or yelling, by American standards) for my attention. Did I mention I didnt have time to eat and was starving? Combine hunger, heat, and about 35 people in  a small space trying to use a dremel, varnish, paints, and translating that made a 3 hour or so workshop seem like an eternity. Plus trying to keep a watchful eye on our materials and belongings. In the end, the women made a few good pieces using natural seeds from a tree called Javilla. Unfortuneately we told those that had pieces with fresh varnish not to put them in bags and istead put them on posterboard for us to take back with us to try to sell on the internet and in the states. With so much going on, and my (non)loud voice, the message didn’t get out. By the time got home, we went through the jewelry only to find their pieces stuck to the plastic bags, full of dirt, and just plain damaged. We sat on the floor by candlelight and found all of our hard work, messy and useless. Not all was lost though, as there were a few pieces that were salvaged and sold. The lady went back to the states, but I have continued monitoring and trying to organize the group. From a room full of women and kids, to about 4-5 women that are trying to make it a personal business. I was expecting this; past experience has shown me that interest is always there in the beginning, and only the die-hards continue. Most just wanted to see what the americanas had brought. Personally, I enjoy working with small groups better, as there is not as much BS to go around. I have been meeting with them the last few weeks to drill holes in the pieces and to go over logistics. I don’t want to be fully responsible for the group, but want them to take the initiative so that they continue for themselves, but I guess only time will tell as to the direction of Nuevo Amancer. Last week I turned over the money that a few of them had earned, and it gave them motivation to continue. They are learning to make jewelry out of coconut, and seeds, and I stress to them each time that they should use pieces that are found in nature as that is more unique and economical in terms of supplies, but of course, they are drawn to the flashy and colorful beads that are so popularly tacky in this culture. One of the women gave me a pair that she had made, and I was so excited to receive them. When I had seen what they had been making on their own, I wanted to buy them all. I can’t help it. I like to shop, especially when I know who the artisan is and the trouble they have gone through to make that piece, makes it even more special to me. While I work on the production side, my friend is working on the marketing side through shops and the internet.

I believe she has even made a connection with a tourist shop on the east coast that is interested in selling wooden boats that one of the local artisans make here. While she was here, I brought her (as I have brought all of my guests) to his home so that he can show what he has made and sells. She bought a few pieces and is now trying to market them on her side. I will be excited to see what comes of it, and hopefully my artisan and her can connect and he can count on a more steady income.

I am still struggling with my environmental youth group, and for the most part, attendance is about 5. Last week we organized a beach cleanup and only about 15 people showed up. Better than nothing, I guess. In about 2.5 hours we only cleaned about two blocks worth of the beach. Thankfully it was not too hot out, and we collected about 20 large trash bags worth. Everything from tires, shoes, shirts, hats, backpacks, glass and paper stuff littered the beach. It was a lot of work, but fun at the same time. I will be happy if it means that a few less people will be prone to littering, especially after they got stuck picking up other peoples trash. One of the guys told me that he doesn’t litter (a very popular and common habit) anymore after he started coming to the meetings, and at least I am happy for that. Small steps, is what I have learned. Everything starts small and then rolls onto to bigger and better things.  

 

Comments

1

Ayayayayaaaaaa...you finally wrote a new entry for your blog and I loved it as always!!

  BQ May 6, 2010 3:29 PM

2

Hi Been a while, and finally catching up with you. Hey, you know me the beading business sounds exciting, to hear you helping them get a business going, more than what i'm doing. Take pic of the braclets lets see what they look like. Hint hint

  Lydia Jun 1, 2010 3:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.