Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Xmas 09

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC | Wednesday, 30 December 2009 | Views [517] | Comments [1]

My Christmas day was spent on the road, waiting for a guagua that would take me back home, but being that it was a holiday, the buses were not very regular or timely, like most things in this country. We took a carro publico and little guagua to my bf’s aunt’s house outside the capitol for some seafood soup and beer. Being that I had just finished off a plate of fish soup and large cup of coffee at his house, my belly was full and so I opted only for the beer. It was yummy. According to the bus station, the next guagua was was to leave at around 2, and so we headed to the side of the highway to flag it down and jump on. Unfortuneately the sun was melting hot, and we walked a ways to some shade, which luckily, was next to a colmado. Colmados serve beer. We sat on some large rocks, waiting, jumping up to flag down any guagua that drove by, only to not be the right one. I had pretty much given up on going home. Three hours passed, about 4 bottles of Presidente’s, and 1 bag of chips later, a guagua came by that went about 2 hours away from my town. We jumped on with our last bottle of beer to ride for about 2 hours, connecting us to another little guagua. Being that it was so late already, we had it in mind that we were going to hitch-hike back to my site after this guagua had made its last stop. Either hope for the best to make it through the loma, or find a place to sleep. Somehow, we passed another guagua on the way that was magically my bus into town. A Christmas gift. We got off the second guagua in the middle of a random dark bridge, and hopped onto our last guagua, which was stuffed with passengers. We rode for a while standing, and practically hanging out of the open door. All I could do was laugh - so much work just to make it home for Christmas day. About 7 hours later, I made it to my host family’s house, just in time for another round of drinks.

Comments

1

Sounds like you had yourself an adventure!!

  bq Jan 4, 2010 6:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Dominican Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.