Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Looking for a home.

USA | Friday, 13 February 2009 | Views [378] | Comments [2]

I was hoping to move into this cute little orange house near the beach once the other volunteer moved out, but now it looks as if I may be out of luck. The owner is looking into selling it, and I was too confident into thinking that I could easily take it over without having to search for a place. The first three months here at site should have been concentrated on finding a home, but i thought this house would be mine. This is a problem, since I decided to take in a puppy once I moved in. My friend found a litter of puppies on the side of the road, abandoned, and only a few days old. Since there is no way we can afford one dog, let alone 6, I decided to take one in. She was too cute to pass up, plus I figured that living alone in the DR, she would be a good protector. Now my hunting begins for a home...

February marks the month of carnaval, plus the country's independence day. Here, it has been a big party in the park every Sunday. The kids, and some adults, dress up in costumes and some homemade masks and go around hitting people with blown up animal bladders that are very prettily painted, but smell bad and actually do sting. I am not sure why they do it, but it is fun to watch. Luckily, I stay inside my family's tent, which is much safer. Even then, one little kid, reached in and wacked my butt with the animal bladder last week. The weekend of the 27 will be even crazier, and hopefully it doesn't rain. This last week has been raining nonstop, which makes for an empty town - no one comes out, unless necessary. Not even for school. I met up with some friends yesterday, and one mentioned that I looked tanner than the week before. I don't know how, if the rain has kept us all inside. But I responded that it is the water - the water turns a pretty light brown when it rains, and since I like to be "clean" I still bathe in it. And so now, I have an instant tan. I don't recomend it, since I think it has left me a bit itchy as well. :)

Really, it's not that bad. To all my future and possible visitors, if I can do it, then so can you.

Comments

1

Hi Christy,

Finally I am again back to your diary. Awesome news that you got a puppy:)Now you have friend:)
We are doing allright, I am working: it is a very haaarrrdd job! The good thing I am working only 3 days, so I have more time for my children.
Taya turned 9 months, started to go to daycare with Nikita, so... Time flies:)

We will call you this weekend: I am not working, so.. talk to you later, and good luck with finding a new home:)

Always yours,

Lenka

  olena Feb 26, 2009 7:46 PM

2

Hi
Its been a while. You sound like you've been busy. Work is also keeping me busy. So how did it go with your presentation. did you get the grant. Leah will be moving back home she's tired of spending her money on rent. Shes hoping to finish school at moorpark and CSUN. Scotts been working with groups at school doing short films, he did one that they put on You Tube.
Well take care

  Lydia Mar 6, 2009 4:25 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.