Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Moldy Me.

USA | Wednesday, 26 November 2008 | Views [383] | Comments [2]

The other day I took out a pair of pants to wear and I found spots, little white moist spots. Mold. I hadn’t worn the pants in probably a month, and so they were molding in the closet. I had been warned about this, but my clothes had remained clear, until now. I wiped them off and wore them anyway. I can’t be too picky. Moldy or not.  It’s not that I put them away while they were wet, its just that the humidity got to it in my closet. I found another pair of pants with the same spots and I put them out in the sun to dry out; the sun will get any stain out and my pants are now cured. Now if only the sun could also cure my ears. I noticed a few green spots in my ear. My earrings were molding in my ear! Only my second and third holes, so I had to take them out for a while. Let them air out. I feel weird without them. Lighter in a way. I don’t think I can afford to buy earrings (what a luxury) so most likely my holes will close up. Keeping with the subject of mold, I have this weird rash on my arm, right on one of my blue flowers. It looks like mold, black-green spots that are not part of my tattoo. It made the blue look shiny, as if it had eaten through the top layer of my skin and was getting at the ink. It freaked me out, why of all places right on this flower? It itches in a weird way; I accidentally scratched it one day and angered it. I hadn’t paid much attention to it before then, but for fear of a staph infection, I am slathering on antibiotic cream twice a day. It looks like its drying up. At least I hope so. I have heard horror stories regarding staph infections, and with the humidity, sometimes it is harder to have wounds heal. I will have to get it checked out when I go to the capitol next week.

Last week I finally managed to go into the ocean. I had been to the beach to walk around, take pictures, get my feet wet, but not to actually go in and enjoy the waves. It was so nice. Of course, I waited until the sun was going down and there was a break in the rain that made the timing perfect. The water wasn’t too cold; my bucket baths are colder than that.

 

Besides being woken up by the roosters and turkeys, there are loud speakers that announce market specials, news, and town meeting information every morning. The announcer guy is so serious in his announcements; I don’t know how he doesn’t end up laughing. Its funny, but I actually look forward to hearing him. This is my little dose of town news, in case I want to buy goat meat that has been freshly cut up, then I know exactly where to go. All very important stuff.

 

With the electricity not being very reliable, the other night we had a youth group meeting by a kerosene lamp in this little empty room. It was windy and looked like it was about to storm. Even then the youth were enthusiastic to talk and do their skits. They really do love their dramas, which makes it easier to have a youth group when they are excited about acting out scenarios. I have joined two different youth groups with the other volunteers, one involving environment conservation and the other being a teen-life group. Its pretty interesting, and I am doing my best to be more vocal in both. It can be hard, especially with my low voice and shy demeanor (very different to their LOUD voices), but I try and get my point across. I still don’t know all of their names, but at least they know mine, so I am not totally lost in there.

 

It has been raining the last few days, which means that the river water that usually comes out of our faucets (when there is water) has been kinda brown. Just the same, I still bathe in it. I just think of it as taking a dip in the river. With shampoo and soap. It has actually gotten chilly and I have allergies which is not fun. At least it is not dengue fever. I was afraid the other day when I started to feel kinda warm and weird but it quickly passed and I have convinced myself (with the help of others) that I have either gripe or allergies. I’ll take that any day.

 

 

 

Comments

1

sounds like fun! miss you. happy turkey day. gobble gobble.

  BQ =) Nov 26, 2008 6:41 PM

2

oh christina!!!
how you worry me! but it seems like you are handling everything perfectly fine! i sure am missing you this week... first holiday without you! but you do your thing girl! hahaha i love you and miss you!
happy thanksgiving sis!
-huckles

  danny Nov 27, 2008 5:09 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.