Existing Member?

Volunteering in the DR

Humidity, Rabies, Malaria Pills and Mosquito Nets

USA | Sunday, 24 August 2008 | Views [1070] | Comments [9]

This is my third day in country and it is SUPER hot and humid. I feel like I havn't taken a shower. The first day we arrived was crazy. First of all, our plane was an hour and a half late, which meant we were at the airport for almost 5 hours. Too long to wait. When we finally arrived, we were whisked away to this monastery for the night where we had a quick introduction to the staff, our pictures taken = all hot and sweaty, not pretty! = plus given a rabies shot, malaria pills to take, and mosquito net to sleep under. The mosquito net was kinda hard to put up since I had never done so. It felt like building a fort in this tiny little room I was sharing with my same roommate from Miami. I put on mosquito spray and slept pretty peacefully considering the heat, I guess I was just that tired. Thankfully, I have not had any crazy nightmares that the malaria pills are supposed to give you. I dream so much as it is when I sleep that the malaria pills are no match for my overactive brain. Knock on wood that I don´t get the nightmares tonight or ever! But, we will have to take these pills every week for the next two years or so. My new perfume has become OFF! I smell so yummy, but I don´t want to risk dengue fever or malaria, so I have to reapply it several times a day. Even then, I still get bit. I have three bites so far. Yay. As long as it doesn´t develop into anything more, I am OK.

Last night was my first night with my host family. It was pretty interesting. I can pretty much understand them, except there are times when I have to ask them to repeat what they just said. Plus I am learning some new words...habichuelas for beans, not frijoles, and guagua for bus, not camion. It is like information overload. I have eaten lots of beans and rice and plantains. YUM. Luckily my host mom has had other Americans stay with her before, so she is aware that a non-meat diet is pretty common. Its not her favorite because it requires a little more work, but she is OK with it. So I am happy. She also helped me put up my mosquito net to sleep under. Suprisingly it is not as clausterphobic as I thought it would be, or maybe I have just been that tired. This morning I had to take a bucket bath, and with cold water. But it did feel good for a bit, even if it was cold, because soon after I felt hot and sweaty again.

Today I got my meningitis shot, and my arm is sore. I think I have about 8 more to go. My poor arms. As if my arms weren´t already sore from carrying my baggage. 43 pounds on my back!!! Plus two other handbags. It seriously is way too much for me to handle and I am really going to suffer in October when I have to move out and into the countryside. Its not that I overpacked, its just that I am pretty weak. I am going to return with She-Ra arms. HaHa. That would be funny.

All I hear everyday, all day is merengue and bachata. Blasting from all over the place. People here are pretty friendly, and I am thankfull for that.

There is another storm coming, I can hear the thunder and see the dark clouds are rolling in. Hopefully I will be able to make it back to my house before it sets in. My host brother was supposed to come back for me, but I guess he forgot. Good thing it is just up the street.

Comments

1

sounds like you are having too much fun!! Don't forget to light up candles during the nigh, it helps keep the mosquitoes away. Also, can you send me a couple CD's of merengue?j/k well take care yourself and don't forget to tell your home host that I will be coming next week, hint...have my bed ready and since you will be an expert by then, you can put up my mosquito net.:)

  amed meneses Aug 25, 2008 4:34 AM

2

Having fun? The mosquito nets sound like a pain in the arse, but it's for your protection. Think of them like a canopy surrounding your princess bed. Haha. How is your host family? Do you call the lady Mama? What's the village like? Have you been able to sightsee? Have you been taking a lot of pictures? By the way, I love that Amed left you a comment (what a cheeser). Love youuuuuuu!!!

  Becky Q. Aug 25, 2008 6:50 AM

3

I havn´t been out to explore too much...my mom is afraid to let me out by myself, since I stick out like a sore thumb. Seriously. But tomorrow we are going to learn how to get to and from the school center from home all by ourselves by taking the guagua - or mini bus, more like a vw van - and then a public car, which is different from a taxi. A taxi is just for you, but a carro publico can squish in as many people as you can. Its pretty interesting, and disgustingly hot and sweaty when you are squished in together. I don´t call her mama, although the little boys did make the connection that I am their aunt. They are so cute. I took some pictures of them and I hope to post them soon. We played Uno today, and they loved it.

  christyindominicanrepublic Aug 25, 2008 9:20 AM

4

Hey Christy. Cool site. Sounds like you're doing alright for yourself out in the DR, aside from the mosquito netting and shots that is. Keep building those muscles up and be sure to post some pics of you and your surroundings soon. Bye for now.

  BIlly Karan Aug 26, 2008 4:52 AM

5

Hey Christy,

Wow I feel like I am right there with you! great visuals!!!

When you get back to the US we'll have to enter you in some body building competitions :)

and mmmm the food sounds amazing. Is the host family pretty nice? When you get out to the country area make sure you have an address - so i can send you some books to keep you entertained while mosquitos suck on your blood :)

Miss you!

  Rehana Aug 26, 2008 5:22 AM

6

OMG!!! I completely forgot about all those wonderful new terms you needed to learn. Hopefully you can ask your host brother to help you out in learning how to dance Bachata, LOL.. I think you would be really good at it. Sorry to hear about your poor lil arms, stay safe out there and we will be in touch.

D,

  David Tapia Aug 26, 2008 8:48 AM

7

Hi Christy!

Wow, only 3 days and you've had more excitement than most of us have had our whole lives! I didn't realize there would be so many mosquitos but that makes sense considering its really humid there. That's nice that your host family is familiar with Americans and that the mother helped you with your net. You will probably be so strong come October, it will be no big thing to carry your bags. :) I'm thinkin of ya!

  Kelly Aug 27, 2008 2:07 PM

8

Hello Habichuelita,

Merengue y Bachata..WOW..wish I could be there to listen to it while I dance my happy ass away with some hot stuff!!!! or not : ) So how old is your forgetful host brother? I am very happy to hear that your host family is friendly. Riding the guagua should be an adventure..can't wait to hear about it. Take care, hasta luego amigueta.

  Sabritas Aug 27, 2008 5:43 PM

9

Hi Christy,

can you say how you 'stick out like a thumb' Are you tahth different? What is the difference: Is it clothes, color, height?

Gosh, sounds like you are in a movie somewhere in tropics:)

Christy, I think if you will write a book by the end of this trip. I am sure it will be fun to read:)

lenka

  OLENA Aug 28, 2008 4:49 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.