Existing Member?

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: one girl's quest to see the world

"Swiss efficiency" seems to extend to everything except the internet

SWITZERLAND | Tuesday, 17 July 2007 | Views [379]

I made it to Zurich just fine... it seems that sleeper cars on night trains are actually quite comfortable and I slept the best since coming on this trip. Am seriously a fan of sleeper cars. 

My hostel is clean and huge and also the nicest of all of my accommodations. Also, sadly, the most expensive. In fact, all of Switzerland is expensive. While the prices you see would make sense if there were 2 CHF to 1 USD, the exchange rate is sadly much closer to 1.15 CHF to 1 USD. Coffee runs 5 CHF; a meal at McDonalds is nearly 12 CHF; in fact the only thing that is reasonably priced is Frosted Flakes (4 CHF) and milk (1.95 CHF), which is what I had for dinner tonight. No fridge to store the milk so I dumped the rest and will buy more tomorrow (kept the cereal of course). 

Took a lovely walking tour around the old city this afternoon and saw the church with stained-glass windows painted by Chagall at the ripe old age of 89. Also took a (free!) boat trip around Lake Zurich this evening, which resulted in a more-than-mild sunburn of my back and chest (my arms recovered from the mild sunburn in Berlin with built-in defenses and my face moisturizer has SPF 15 in it...). So I'm resembling something-like-a-tomato. At least it doesn't really hurt.

Going to the Opera House tomorrow and the modern art museum. Someone told me today that they have a fantastic DADA collection so I'm super excited about that. Then it's back to the hostel to shower and pack. Yep, they had a cancellation and I get to sleep in real bed tomorrow night! Wahoo! 

Hope everyone is well. I'm loving the perfect weather here (high 70s and sunny) despite the sunburn and I should see many of you in about 48 hours or so. Gotta run!

Tags: wandering, wi-fi, zurich

 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.