Existing Member?

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: one girl's quest to see the world

Gastronomical adventures in Germany

GERMANY | Friday, 13 July 2007 | Views [400]

Well I made it to Berlin (definitely the hardest city to navigate thus far but I attribute it to its sheer size, which hardly compares to everywhere else I've been). My hostel is quite nice and I will definitely make friends considering I'm in a room with 11 other bunks, but the place is a little out of the way. Which means only that once I leave in the morning I won't be stopping back at home until I make it back that night. No worse than New York, right? Also exciting to note: not raining here! Also, close to 70 degrees! Overcast but other than that, the weather is the best I've had thus far. Yay!

The other super exciting part of my evening was finding a Schloztsky's Deli near the Checkpoint Charlie spot on the former Berlin Wall and here's the kicker: free internet access (as in, right now, as I type) and free refills on Diet Coke!!! I can't quite share how big of a deal this is as I haven't really had much DC in the past year since NY does not believe in the free refill and still charges Atlanta prices (or higher) for soda. So I am totally bingeing (binging doesn't look right so the 'e' has to be right... right?) on the sweet nectar that is artificial sweeteners before heading back to the reality of Berlin. 

Which also leads me to report two other wonderful foods of which I have partaken in the last couple of days, both on advice from my German friends Abby and David: currywurst (think bratwurst in BBQ sauce?) and this cinnamon-roll-esque delight I found at the train station bakeries. Seriously, I wish this stuff could be found in NY. Yum times like twenty gagillion. Okay, back to the tourist stuff. Hope everyone is well! 

Love from Berlin :-)

Tags: berlin, food, germany, wi-fi

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.