Existing Member?

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: one girl's quest to see the world

Well, I made it...

GERMANY | Thursday, 5 July 2007 | Views [263]

Well friends, I am here in Bavaria and it is cold. Cold and rainy and did I mention cold? I packed for light rain and maybe 65-75 degrees... and it is pouring rain and about 50 degrees. 

I am the only native English speaker on the trip so that has been hard. My roommate, Oleana, is from Ukraine and although only 21 she has been married for 3 years and has a 2 year old daughter. There are also two girls from Russia, a girl from France, and our leader is a girl from Germany (the only German speaker among us). There are also boys from France, Belgium, Serbia, and Turkey. Plus the ten French students who are nice I guess but pretty much keep to themselves. 

All in all though this project is not really working out. The organization is not taking care of things and they are expecting us to do work outside when it is raining and cold without providing us with basic protection from the weather. They also don't have back-up plans for bad weather days and no one is really in charge. Yesterday I had a fever and was in bed all night because we were outside in the forest for four hours in the pouring rain with only ponchos. When we finally went inside they wanted us to go on with the day's work without changing our clothes even though we were soaked through. 

So I've decided to leave the project on Saturday and go off on my solo portion of the trip earlier than expected. I've changed my return flight to July 19 for only a small fee and then will have some down time before work at the Met starts back up again. Maybe I'll even be able to make it to Michigan... we'll see. Anyway, send me some love if you have the chance and I'll keep in touch on here when I can.

Tags: germany, munich

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.