Existing Member?

Europe 2012

Amsterdam

NETHERLANDS | Monday, 25 June 2012 | Views [462]

Yesterday morning we trained to Amsterdam were we were quickly made aware that pedestrians do not have the right of way. There are thousands of cyclists in the city and each mode of transportation has its own lane to travel in. It's truly a remarkable and efficient system in the city. Winnipeg needs to get on this ASAP. 
We met up with our friend Jeff and Hannah from Winnipeg, they will be joining us until Munich. 
After exploring the city for the afternoon and visiting the House of Anne Frank we ended up in an Irish pub to watch some soccer. Racked up quite the bar tab and called it a night early. Today we explored the city some more deciding that renting a bike might be a dangerous idea... The Heineken Brewery is located just down the street from our hostel so we all went for a tour. It was a very good tour of the place with plenty of beers included topped off with a canal cruise. After further wandering the city today including the Red light district we are calling it a night. Next stop, Berlin. 
Side note: Amsterdam is a very beautiful city, wouldn't mind living here even. But I have a very hard time understanding how the red light district and all these coffeeshops fall into place in such a gorgeous city. Just doesn't make sense. Nonetheless, happy we stopped in for a few days!! 

Tags: active transport, amsterdam, heineken

About christie


Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.