Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Enjoying Wales For A Staycation

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 3 December 2020 | Views [78]


There has been good news for Brits who have been holed up in their homes for the past few months as the Covid-19 outbreak has made it’s way across the country. The government has recently announced the start of vaccinations. At this point, it’s important to concede that we are still a long way out from things getting completely back to normal, but it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

What the experts are predicting is that the other side of Christmas is set to see a continued boom in staycations. While many holiday businesses and tour operators are keen to get people heading back to the continental hotspots that Brits flock to every year such as the South of France, Spain, and Italy, it is understandable that people might be a bit apprehensive about traveling so far. Today, we will look at why Wales could be your destination of choice for a staycation holiday.

Rural Beauty

While the Scottish Highlands or the Yorkshire Dales often get the press attention for countryside beauty, there is no denying that the Welsh landscape has a unique beauty unto itself. The character and personality of this part of the UK is defined by the sweeping valleys and green countryside that have inspired a thousand songs, poems and paintings over the centuries.

To the North of the country is Snowdonia. This is home to the hill of Snowdon and is the tallest in Wales and is popular amongst walkers from across the country and beyond. The weather can be a little unpredictable, as is the case with most of the UK, so make sure you are ready for the odd downpour if you decide to take the walk to the summit. If you’re lucky enough to reach the top on a clear day, the panoramic views make for the ultimate reward!

Coastal Experience

Being an island, the UK has no shortage of coastal places to visit. Whether it’s the bawdy bright lights of Blackpool or the pretty costal village feel of St Ives, you can find it all here. Wales has its own fair share of beautiful coastline looking out onto the Irish Sea that adds to the character of the whole country. Tiny beaches and undiscovered coves can be found all along the Western coast of Wales. The more research you can do into this area, the better your chances of having a unique experience.

The Welsh coast offers a whole range of walks and places to stay as well as great beaches to try out water activities like surfing – if you get the weather for it! Along with other parts of the UK, Wales is fast becoming a popular destination for those looking to get off the beaten track to enjoy a seaside holiday in one of the many towns that can be found along the coast.

Cities to Explore

The population spread of Wales in generally centred in the South. The two biggest cities; Cardiff and Swansea, can be found on the bottom edge of the country a few miles apart. Wales has a proud industrial past centred on mining and other heavy industries and these have lead to the growth of urban centres in this part of the country. They have undergone a lot of change in recent decades, becoming more metropolitan, and each place has its own unique character worth exploring.

Visitors to Swansea will be amazed at the variety of things on offer from the online guides. The town knows how to show its visitors a good time and there are a broad range of great pubs and bars across the centre that are worth exploring on a night out. In nearby Cardiff, visitors can enjoy Wales’ favourite sporting pastime, Rugby, at the vast Principality Stadium. It’s hard to say when rugby will be back on the calendar with everything that is currently going on. If you get the chance to see the national team in action, it’s well worth the effort.

We should be glad that there is some return to relative normality on the horizon. While holidays abroad might be off the cards for now, if you look a little closer to home for 2021, you will find all kinds of amazing destinations like Wales to enjoy. 

Tags: uk, united kingdom, wales

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.