Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Activity Holidays to take after Lockdown

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 6 February 2021 | Views [80]

The last year has been rough on us for a number of reasons. The harsh realities of living under lockdown restrictions for such a long period of time have become evident, but luckily it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel. The mass roll out of vaccinations across the country appears to be having a positive effect on things, it we can be cautiously optimistic that the second half of 2021 will see things a little more normal than they have been since the start of the pandemic.

Travel experts are still predicting that we will see a big uptake in staycations when the restrictions on movement are lifted. It’s easy to see why as all international travel is under strict scrutiny, and people are naturally wary about jetting off abroad. Luckily for us Brits, we live in a country with a wealth of places to visit and experiences to be had. Read on to discover the experiences you can hope to enjoy if you opt for an activity holiday when restrictions are relaxed.

Take a Walking Holiday in the Lake District

The Lake District and Cumbria are known the world over for their walking routes and scenery. If you opt to visit this year, you can enjoy slightly quieter paths thanks to a downturn in international tourists. People across England know that Scafell Pike is the highest mountain in the country, but how many have made it to the top? It is the perfect time to start ticking off destinations on your UK bucket-list. Lake Windermere is unrivalled in its natural beauty and there are plenty of towns to see and explore in between your adventures.

Hit the Surf in Cornwall

Those of us who have been stuck indoors with only the television for company will have been taken in by Rick Stein’s recent BBC series on Cornwall. The famous chef has been shining a light on the English South West, and there’s no doubting that many of us have added Cornwall to our places to visit when restrictions are lifted! Not many would associate the UK with surfing, but you can catch some curls off the Cornish coast at the end of summer.

Drop 18 holes on a World Class Course

Thanks to Scotland, the UK is the spiritual home of golf. If you want a trip to the Midlands, be sure to book a round on the Brabazon course at The Belfry Hotel in Sutton Coldfield. Golf fans know this course needs no introduction, but for the uninitiated, the course has seen some of the biggest moments in the game’s history as well as being the host to the Ryder Cup no fewer than four times. The British Masters will be held here in May, so if seeing the course on your TV whet’s your appetite you can have a round yourself!

Tackle Aviemore’s Slopes

Thanks to the lockdown, it has been reported that the ski resorts in the Scottish Highlands have received some of the best, untouched snow in years. As it will only be people from the UK coming here to ski, the slopes will be a little quieter than usual. Forget about jetting off to the Alps – we have amazing ski resorts right up the road!

Tags: aviemore, cornwall, lake district, midlands, uk

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.