Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Why You Should Visit Aberdeen this Christmas

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 7 November 2018 | Views [213]

Aberdeen is the third largest city in Scotland, with a rich cultural and historical significance. The Granite city is an underrated gem with a lot to discover, making it the perfect getaway this Christmas break.

Every year the streets of Aberdeen host one of the biggest Christmas villages in Scotland.  Here you’ll find food trucks from all over the world, intriguing stalls with curious knick-knacks (perfect for last minute stalking filers!) and all the mulled wine and mince pies you could ask for. If you’re looking for more excitement, every year Aberdeen has an open-air ice rink (next to the impressive Mariscal college) and fairground rides (we recommend you try ‘The Blizzard’!). These are sure to keep all you thrill seekers entertained.

Aberdeen has an extensive history of being the centre for performing arts.  Throughout the festive period there will be live gigs in many of Aberdeen’s pubs such as The Globe and café Drummond.  Of course, for the ultimate festive experience, make sure you check out Aberdeen’s pantomime at His Majesty’s theatre.  This year’s panto is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs starring Lee Mead!

Although Aberdeen’s beach may not be the obvious choice this time of year, make sure you do add it to your list of things to do. Codonas amusement park hosts the Grampian eye giving you breath-taking sights of the city and the North Sea coastal lining. On crisp winter days the views you get from the top of this Ferris wheel really are quite something. Back inside, the park offers ten-pin bowling, dodgems and a highly entertaining video arcade. On top of that you’re also close by to the Queens links leisure park where you can stop for a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants or even go along to a movie at the UGC cinema just over the courtyard.

Outside of the centre of Aberdeen, there is plenty to see. Why not take a day trip to Stonehaven where you can explore the beautiful small fishing village and nearby Dunnottar castle. If you find yourself here for New Year, make sure you check out Stonehaven’s Hogmanay fireball festival – it’s really not to be missed!

Aberdeen is also within driving distance of many whisky distilleries; the closest being the Glen Garioch distillery in Oldmeldrum. Glen Garioch offers tasting tours of the distillery.  Imagine taking in the history of this distillery as you sample a dram (or two!) of this fine single malt scotch whisky around a cosy fire.

So there you have it, Aberdeen is the perfect long weekend winter getaway for the old and young alike.

Tags: aberdeen, christmas in aberdeen, holiday for christmas

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.