Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

A Survival Guide to Long-Haul Travel

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 6 November 2018 | Views [201]

Gap year

Gap year

Travelling and experiencing completely different cultures is one of the most life-affirming things we can do. However, the process of packing, preparing for your trip and getting to your destination is not without its stresses. Added to making sure you’ve packed all your travel essentials and getting through airport security, there is also the tedium of being confined to a small seat for hours on end until you arrive at your destination. However, fear not, we have put together a ‘survival’ guide to long-haul travel to make your journey that little bit more enjoyable.

Create a Packing Check-List

Creating a check-list for everything you need to pack might sound obvious, but it can be easy to just avoid doing it when busy trying to sort everything else out. However, sitting down and listing all the items you want to/need to take with you will not only help ensure you don’t forget one of your essential items, but will also help put your mind at ease, knowing everything has been considered and packed.

Make Yourself Comfortable

To make any long-haul flight as enjoyable as possible, it’s important to try to make sure you are as comfortable as you can be. Resist the urge to store your carry-on luggage at your feet and instead store it in the overhead bin; storing your bag out of the way will mean you can make the most of the little legroom you have and can stretch your legs where possible. You might want to also consider purchasing a travel pillow, sleep mask as well as noise-cancelling headphones. These items will allow you to rest when you need to without the many distractions around you constantly disrupting you.

Make the Most of The Cloud

Thanks to advancements in technology, there is now a myriad of ways to stay entertained during your trip. Long gone are the days where you only had the number of CDs and books you can logistically carry to keep you entertained. Thanks to cloud technology we can now access huge catalogues of books, music, films, TV shows and podcasts just to name a few. The likes of Netflix and Spotify allow you to store films and tracks so you can access them without the need for WI-FI, meaning you can listen to and watch as much you want during your flight. It can also be a great idea to store copies of your important travel documents, such as your passport and flight ticket, on the cloud; this way, should any of these or your devices go missing, you will be able to recover the data easily.

Look After Your Health

Planes can be a breeding ground for germs and viruses with the air being continually recirculated. The last thing you want is to fall ill just as you arrive at your travel destination so try to look after your health as you fly. Try to stay hydrated, sleep when you need, wipe surfaces such as your tray table with antibacterial wipes and try to keep your skin moisturised. When you can, make an effort to walk down the aisle and stretch your legs properly to make sure you are keeping the blood flow properly circulating. 

Tags: a guide to travel, long-haul flight, travel guide

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.