Existing Member?

A Scotsman Travels...

Budgeting for Winter and Christmas Travel

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 26 October 2018 | Views [188]

Now that the winter season is barely a few weeks away, you might be thinking about booking some time away from home as we come into December. Christmas is indeed a popular time of the year to be taking a trip, whether it’s to spend the holidays abroad or to travel and visit your family in another part of the world.

The common theme for all of us is that this time of year is expensive, no matter what your plans are. It has been reported that we are prone to spending more and more than we can afford on Christmas presents and the like. If you want to book some travel away, it’s vitally important that you have a good handle on your finances to be able to afford everything you want to do.

Booking Early

There is a lot to be said for a bit of organisation when it comes to winter travel. And oftentimes, the earlier you can confirm your dates and book flights/hotels the better. The advance booking option often gets you a better deal, especially if you can take advantage of the many travel sales that are on at the start of the year.

The other route you can take is to try and book as late as possible to bag a last-minute bargain. While you might be able to save a bit of money this way, you might end up being limited with the selection that is on offer, and you’re also not guaranteed to get the exact trip/flights/hotel that you want. It’s important to bear in mind that Christmas is a busy time of year, and a lot of people will be snapping up all the available deals.

Keeping Ahead of the Weather

We all know that the weather conditions that have been seen in the UK over the last couple of winters have been increasingly extreme. It’s important that you take this into consideration when you’re booking any type of trip, especially when it comes to flights. The bad weather that was seen in the last couple of years led to hundreds of last-minute flight cancellations, and people being left stranded and unable to go on their trips.

For this reason, it’s vitally important that you ensure you have a travel insurance policy that will protect you if your flight is cancelled due to poor weather. Keeping an eye on the forecasts in the weeks leading up to your planned trip will give you a clearer idea of whether you will be affected, and if you need to make any kind of alternative plans.

Tracking Your Spending

As we have said, Christmas can be an expensive time of year for all of us. It’s important that you keep to a budget all throughout the planning stages of any trip you might be planning. There are a number of tools that can help you with this, whether you download a balance sheet template or an app that will track your spending.

We put ourselves under too much pressure to overspend in the Christmas period, and if you are planning to take a trip, you need to be sensible with how you manage your spending, as the worst-case scenario will be that you end up in debt that you can take control of.

With a bit of planning, you can budget for a winter trip that you will be able to enjoy and relax on. 

Tags: budgeting, money, travel

About chrissilb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.